• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

46RH into 1971 Challenger, issue with speedo cable fitment

mattp.426

Reaction score
Hello, first post. I'm 22 years old and working with my father on a 1971 Challenger that he gave me. It has a 1990 360 and 46RH swapped in, and we have a dilemma. The speedometer cable is hitting both the trans crossmember from US Cartool, and the torsion bar crossmember. We have brand new 3:55 gears and 28" tires, so I can't reclock the speedo adapter to move the cable away from the crossmembers. The inner crossmember bolt on the drivers side will also hit the cable. Has anyone else done this swap and run into this issue? (See photo below)
IMG_3587.jpg

My two ideas are as follows;
1. temporarily remove the gear, so I can reclock the adapter and install the cable to prevent leaks, though the speedo wouldn't work
2. later on, get a different speedo gear with at least 39 teeth (mine has 33) so I can reclock the adapter, then use the cruise control cables with a speedo ratio adapter in between them, like an old Stewart Warner one (see last photo), to get the cable back to the proper speed.

Here is an image of the gear housing, mine is currently in this position, and I would like to clock it in the 39-45 tooth position. The last photo is an example of a ratio adapter with the correct male ends, though the thread size is unknown.

Thanks in advance for any help!
5527271-speedo.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Katfish

Reaction score
Yes, I ran into exact same problem. Here's a pic before final solution.
I ended up cutting a hole in the cross member and routing it through, and out other side. There's already a hole on the front side of the cross member. There's a support inside, so the plastic end of the cable that clips to the Speedo needs to be removed to route the cable. A little heat with a heat gun or hair dryer and it will come off, and can be easily reattached. I've been running this for 6 yrs now.

https://postimg.cc/14FW44tJ][/url]

mattp.426

Reaction score
Looks like your transmission is mounted a little lower than mine, I think that I need to move the mounting ear on my trans crossmember down about an inch or so. My speedo cable is directly in line with the bolt, my picture doesn't show it well

Back