• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Late shift/Hard shift

dogmagolf

Reaction score
The '71 Challenger has a hard/late shift going on. 440-6, 727 Auto with a LOKAR cable (I believe, not standard mechanical linkage for sure). It drives great, but 1st to 2nd is a little late and abrupt, shifts about 15 MPH, and usually have to feather the gas very lightly to tell it to shift. 2nd to 3rd is the worst, It doesn't shift until about 28 - 30+ MPH and will not shift unless you really work the gas pedal to tell it, basically letting off almost entirely and then giving it a little push to say "hey, shift now" (and sometimes I need to feather that 2 or three times). Letting it get to 3.2k RPM and feathering the gas helps it realize what you want to do quicker, however seems too high on the RPM and still have to work the pedal get it to shift. Once it does start to engage, it takes a moment to run through to the next gear and shifts into gear pretty hard... Almost a thumping sound - reminds me of a shift kit. When wide open, shifts fairly smooth throughout. Car was originally set up for drag racing, but I honestly think the kick down wasn't setup correctly. Also has a B&M shifter in it (which I can't stand and will be getting swapped out). I plan to check into the adjustment on the kick down at the carb and trans to make sure everything is correct. Any other thoughts on what may be going on? (Trans was supposedly rebuilt a few years ago, but again, was pretty much strictly a drag car so it took its beatings).

Once I get back home, I will attempt to upload pics from my phone of the linkage etc. I may be 39 but technology is not my thing - had an IPhone for years and still can't figure out how to get pictures from it onto my computer.

Thanks in advance

.:R

pschlosser

Reaction score
My guess is it's too much throttle pressure. The transmission thinks you are pressing much further on the gas pedal than you actually are. I think you're right on track checking the throttle pressure linkage.

I actually like the B&M hard shifting. I wish I could swap you transmissions.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Like Pschlosser says, it's most likely the throttle cable adjustment. I know Lokar cables can be made to work well, but I still love the three piece rod linkage. Also, check the fluid level when the transmission is warm and on level ground. You be amazed what just a pint of low on fluid will cause.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Thank you pschlosser and Xcudame. I will take a look at cable adjustment and fluid level.

Yep, just adjust the cable at the carb to make it a little bit longer. Does not take much to effect a change. As short as it sounds, you might want to verify the carb goes to wide open throttle when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed.

Back