• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4L80E trans in an Challenger?

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
Hello, has anyone seen a 70-74 Challenger with a 4L80E trans in it or can anyone tell me if it will fit in the tunnel without any cutting?

Thanks for any help.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Not my comment from b bodies only, some owners are asking the same question;

Me personally I wouldn’t waste my time with a GM trans, I personally prefer the Mopar Route, yes you will have to spruce it up but you will have to spruce up the 4L80 which is a glorified door stop. And the nice thing is there are plenty of options with the mopar OD route you may need to make a few extra contacts but they are there from gear sets to converters ... or go gear-vendors route... it’s your car and your coin the cheapest is the probably the GM trans.... but tell a mopar guy you have a Chevy tranny is like putting a 9” rear diff when you should have went to a Dana 60– just my opinion as I’ve replaced many GM trannies they are no better or worse than anything else and the only thing they have going is cost and physical size...

340challconvert

Reaction score
Another posting there on this topic;
What is the problem with Gear Vendors? It effectively turns your 904 or 727 into a six-speed automatic with dramatically better ratio spreads than a 4L60E, especially with the 4L60E's massive, crappy dump between first and second. Torque multiplication is hugely important in the lower gears, so I wouldn't give it up just for an overdrive gear on top. You get to keep the Chrysler transmission, have more gear ratios available, and I believe it's cheaper than the SST A41. Dodge 3-Speed Auto - Gearvendors

But, if you are still leaning SST A41, here is an installation article: https://moparconnectionmagazine.com...smissions-a41-perfectfit-overdrive-automatic/

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I could not agree more with 340challconveter. You buy junk you get junk. That's why your here you don't have junk.

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
All I asked was if anyone has seen or know if the 4L80E trans will clear the tunnel, that's all. I've been a Mopar guy since 1984 but since I also own a IROC Camaro, a Grand Sport Corvette and F350 I guess I just like junk. BTW my Challenger is the worst built car of all of them by far, just ask the guy who owns the frame shop where my car is right now and what he has to do to my car to get it close to what it should have been from the start. His dad worked in Detroit on the assembly lines at the factories during the muscle car era and he has alot of stories about how and what they did to the cars to keep the line moving. The factory was full of idiots that did bad work, not all but plenty. Unions will do that. Even the Chrysler executives of the time said that the build quality was low and I see it first hand in my car. All the manufactures have had good and bad products at times.

Raven855

Reaction score
I have a 6L90E going into a 71. It is tight but it is doable. I know of others that have done it.

Tig

Reaction score
"but tell a mopar guy you have a Chevy tranny is like putting a 9” rear diff when you should have went to a Dana 60"

Just for Info and from a racers point of view, unfortunately you cant get an SFi case for a 727 or a 904, which you can for a TH400 type 'box. Also you cant get the pro "soft" gears numerically lower than 4:10 for a Dana 60 any more (even the higher ratio's are getting harder to find) Pro gears in a wide range of ratio's are readily available for a 9" derived rear. I'd love to keep my car all mopar (although the Dana 60 was first used on a ford truck) I know when I get above 1300hp (1200h/p+ 500 shot) I'm gonna break stuff real quick if I don't switch.
I know 3 mopar racers that have swapped to a TH400 and have gone 1/10th quicker without any other changes, (they were mid to low 9's) parts are more widely available and you can build the 9" and the TH400 to handle 2000+ hp

R4Sedan

Reaction score
I know there's a couple of guys on the a bodies site that have done the 200r4 and loved it. I would have no problem doing it in a Challenger or Cuda that's non matching.

Back