• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 A833 Lost 3rd & 4th gears need help

Bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Looks like 3rd and 4th is not engaging for some reason its like free play in neutral. Any ideas on what the issue could be before we take it out? The rod is connected and we can see it moving on the trans but it's free as a bird

LIMEGREENAAR

Reaction score
Sounds like your shifting fork broke off. It's made of brass or some other soft material. Remove the side cover and it can be replaced without tranny removal

69hemibeep

Reaction score
I just repaired one with that problem and one of the three keys for 3rd-4th in the synchronizer broke.

Steve340

Reaction score
Take the side cover off while in the car - if it is broken shift fork it can be done in the car.
Broken synchroniser - no you would need to disassemble the gearbox.

Rons340

Reaction score
Likely a shifting fork. I would throughly check the detent mechanism on the cover as well, if the fork looks good. I have seen a very few break the shaft where it comes through the cover. Easy check and fix either way. As others have mentioned no R&R needed.

sir_veza

Reaction score
Went through the same thing last spring. Replaced the 3/4 synchro and shift fork. Also a good idea to get a gasket kit.
Brewers Performance had the parts. Yes the transmission needs to be removed from the car.

Back