• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger 440 engine combination

4406Challenger

Reaction score
Hi everyone who appreciates E-Body MOPAR. I was influenced by a high school friend who had a 1969 Plymouth GTX with a 440. He would let me ride along when he drag raced people outside of town. I loved the feeling of the torque and have been a Mopar fan ever since. I currently own a 1970 Dodge Challenger and in the middle of building a more powerful engine for it. I purchased the car in 2003 and have enjoyed it for over 20 years now. However the near stock 440 is not very exciting anymore, especially since I purchased the somewhat matching colored Hellcat in 2015. In hopes to increase the joy of driving the 1970 Challenger, I have purchased a set of Trick Flow 240 heads, Comp Cams extreme energy solid lift roller cam 236/242, H beam rods, 10.5:1 pistons, 1-7/8" Headers, MSD ignition, and have a six pack set up for it. Any ideas regarding the horsepower output? Has anyone ever built a similar combination?

2015July4b.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! Nice looking pair of Challengers.

Wild ass guess, assuming everything is right, about 550hp for your 440. Make sure you have good brakes!

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! Nice looking Mopars! I think you’re all around 500.
It will be blast though.
Could do a stroker and really jump it up! 👍🏻

4406Challenger

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! Nice looking pair of Challengers.

Wild ass guess, assuming everything is right, about 550hp for your 440. Make sure you have good brakes!
Thanks for your reply. I’m struggling with the improvement to the brakes. I purchased a kit from Wilwood that was advertised to fit 14” wheels, but it interfered with my 15” wheels. The only thing I could find was drilled and slotted rotors and OEM style calipers. Do you know of any kits that would fit without changing my wheels? I don’t care for the new style of wheels that are larger diameter.

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Very nice "new and old" Challengers. Great color!

fasjac

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I’m struggling with the improvement to the brakes. I purchased a kit from Wilwood that was advertised to fit 14” wheels, but it interfered with my 15” wheels. The only thing I could find was drilled and slotted rotors and OEM style calipers. Do you know of any kits that would fit without changing my wheels? I don’t care for the new style of wheels that are larger diameter.
I updated my 73 Cuda with Wilwood back in 2011-12. They are slotted and drilled but, do not interfere with my 15” rallye wheels or any other of my 15’s.
My car was already P/B, and ik still using the factory booster and M/C. They work fantastic. Drum in the rear. So, don’t know how different the 70 may be but, I’m pretty sure the bore size is different than 73.
I’d be glad to share part#’s if it helps.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Nice Challengers. I have a new and old pair also. I was looking for a B5 blue newer Challenger to match my 70 but they always seem to be around 5K more than other colors. However, the 12' Blue Streak Pearl caught my attention.

photo0(1).jpeg

IMG_20140803_181907_553.jpg

Back