• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Belt molding

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
I want to remove the belt molding from my doors but not sure how to go about it. On back of door end it looks to have a nut to remove but not sure if bolted on or with push on type clips in the middle. I don't want to damage them so I thought I would reach out for some help. Thanks for this site and any info is much appreciated.Thanks,Mike.

moparlee

Reaction score
The two end ones have a threaded stud with a nut. On my 71 Challenger the middle ones were the push in metal type. Get yourself a good trim removal tool to pop them out.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
The two end ones have a threaded stud with a nut. On my 71 Challenger the middle ones were the push in metal type. Get yourself a good trim removal tool to pop them out.
Thanks,Just removed the drivers side.Mine had a nut on the back side and a small phillips screw on front and push in clips in the center ones.Thanks for the info.Mike.

Cranky

Reaction score
I assume your trim is the door protector type trim with the soft (well, pretty hard actually) rubber/vinyl in the center of the trim? I removed that type of trim on my 70 and don't recall any phillips head screws on any of it....but that was in the mid 70's I did that. Like moparlee said, I remember the forward and rearward ends having studs and the center part using push ins. The later years used a stick on type trim which got rid of all the dang holes in the body. I removed the vinyl top and trim, all the body side trim and filled all the holes on my 70 340 Rallye Pack. Man, that was a job lol

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
I assume your trim is the door protector type trim with the soft (well, pretty hard actually) rubber/vinyl in the center of the trim? I removed that type of trim on my 70 and don't recall any phillips head screws on any of it....but that was in the mid 70's I did that. Like moparlee said, I remember the forward and rearward ends having studs and the center part using push ins. The later years used a stick on type trim which got rid of all the dang holes in the body. I removed the vinyl top and trim, all the body side trim and filled all the holes on my 70 340 Rallye Pack. Man, that was a job lol
Thanks for the reply.Yes one did have a stud with nut and the front end towards fender has a insert with a small phillips head to attach and push in clips in the center. Thanka again,Mike.

KMikk

Reaction score
I used a bic ball point pen, the inside diameter of the pen fits right over the round clip and depresses it just enough to release the clip

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
I used a bic ball point pen, the inside diameter of the pen fits right over the round clip and depresses it just enough to release the clip
Thanks for the tip.This is the coolest website,People willing to help is awesome.Thanks,Mike.

moparleo

Reaction score
Only problem is now you just removed the item that protects your car from parking lot door dings and dents and paint chips. You just weigh the pros and cons of any mods that you do to your car.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Hi,I removed the top of door belt molding so I can sand and repaint car. This is the RT/SE Belt Molding trim I needed to remove.It will go back on car when polished and car is repainted.Thanks for the concern and info.Mike.

Cranky

Reaction score
Good. Your post only said that you wanted to remove the molding, not so you can paint the car. My bad. Make sure to post the finished paint job.
Except for the parking lot shows (which I rarely go to anymore), my cars don't go to grocery store parking lots anymore.

Back