• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Door Latch Lock

nakabrd

Reaction score
I recently purchased a '70 Challenger. For some reason the key will won't lock the door nor will the interior lock lever. While watching the latch inside the door, when I push the lock lever down, it pushes a piece into another latch piece not allowing the lock lever to move. I can't get the piece that gets hit to move out of the way to allow the lock lever to have full motion and activate the lock. When I try the key, it does the same thing. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks

nakabrd

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Leo. Both sides are the same. No bent or disconnected rods. I don't know what I'm missing?????

nakabrd

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Avalanche. I've tried with the door open and closed. Neither the key nor the lever will move the lock. It seems to be hitting something as the rod tries to operate the lock.

moparleo

Reaction score
What is the history with this problem. Did you just get the car ? Or just did some work in the door area ? Or just out of the blue, it doesn't work now but it did last week ?

nakabrd

Reaction score
I recently bought the car. Had it painted and they removed the door handles. I reinstalled the door handle rods and handles. The door handle works fine. I don't know if the locks had a problem before the handles were removed. It sounds like maybe I hooked up a rod incorrectly but everything seemed to fit back together right. Thanks...

moparleo

Reaction score
doorlock (2).jpgMaybe this will help

doorlock (2).jpg

Avalanche

Reaction score
The locking system is pretty complex. If you hooked a lever up to the wrong place it could cause the lock not to open.
I have a spare locking mechanism and will take a look at it this weekend.

nakabrd

Reaction score
Thanks Leo and Avalanche. I won't be able to check your suggestions till Monday.

nakabrd

Reaction score
Door Latch

Challenger Emblem Latch 002.jpgThe rods are connected properly. I attached a picture of the latch. When locking, the piece on the lower right moves upward but hits the arm right above it preventing it from moving and activating the lock. Does anything look wrong here? Also, I removed the rod that attaches to that lower right piece before taking this picture.

Challenger Emblem Latch 002.jpg

Back