• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Engine Harness routing

Abouttime

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased an engine harness from Yearone several years ago. I am just getting around to installing it, but unfortunately the old harness was removed a dozen years ago and I can't figure out how to route it. (Wish I had taken pictures.) It plugs in correctly but I have no idea how it is supposed to snake around the vehicle. Does any one have a drawing or pictures that they could share? Possibly with the terminations showing as well? The Service Manual doesn't have the layout. I also purchased the clips but have no idea where they go either.
Thanks,
Allen

fasjac

Reaction score
I don’t know if you have a sb or bb but, should lay out pretty easy from bulk head to voltage reg, distributor etc. if you changed sb to big block, you’ll need to extend some wiring. Pics?

Adam

Reaction score
It basically goes from the bulkhead connector, behind the brake booster, up along the driver’s side inner fender. Some smaller wires go across the back of the engine to the ignition; do you have a tach?

Abouttime

Reaction score
It basically goes from the bulkhead connector, behind the brake booster, up along the driver’s side inner fender.
That's the way that I figured, as the starter relay connectors and clutch ground wire are there. But if I go that way, then the horn wires will never be able to reach the horns over on the passenger side. I double checked the package to make sure I got the correct harness. 1970 BB 4spd. It works...I started up the car using a couple of extension jumpers but the wires aren't long enough. I must be doing something wrong, that's why I was trying to find pictures or a drawing.

marks ebody

Reaction score
if you got a big block and your putting a engine loom in.
sitting in the driver seat the wire hooks to the bulkhead and goes right to the passenger side valley of the engine.
(Your valve cover if it’s stock should have three locking terminals (bending terminals)loom goes through those to the alternator hook up your coolant sensor wire, alternator wires, across the gap as a picture shows to the horn and I believe the tan wire should go to the washer tank if you have a three speed wiper motor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 226

Abouttime

Reaction score
if you got a big block and your putting a engine loom in.
sitting in the driver seat the wire hooks to the bulkhead and goes right to the passenger side valley of the engine.
(Your valve cover if it’s stock should have three locking terminals (bending terminals)loom goes through those to the alternator hook up your coolant sensor wire, alternator wires, across the gap as a picture shows to the horn and I believe the tan wire should go to the washer tank if you have a three speed wiper motor.
Outstanding! Thank you! It seemed to fit better that way but I laid it in the direction of the starter relay (drivers side). I appreciate the time you took out of your day to get me these pics. Nice car, by the way!

Reaction score
The 2 harnesses go in different directions. You,already have the engine direction above. The headlight harness goes to the left fender well and up to and through the core support and a runs in the top front side of the support to the passenger side lights.

if you have power brake booster it runs over the top of the and there is a stand up bracket off the master cylinder studs to hold it.

70chall440

Reaction score
You can see on the left inner fender there are a series of holes up and down (i.e. one hole directly above another about 1.5" apart), these holes are for the plastic harness keepers which hold the headlight/front lighting harness in place. These keepers are reproduced and help clean up the engine bay.

70chall440

Reaction score
Here is the set for a 70, it says B body but will work. I like the first set I posted but typically used parts of both, depends on how original you want to be.

Abouttime

Reaction score
The 2 harnesses go in different directions. You,already have the engine direction above. The headlight harness goes to the left fender well and up to and through the core support and a runs in the top front side of the support to the passenger side lights.

if you have power brake booster it runs over the top of the and there is a stand up bracket off the master cylinder studs to hold it.
Excellent, thanks very much. Thankfully the rear harness, which I will also be replacing, is still in the car, so I shouldn't have any issues with that one, but no doubt I will have some more stupid questions in the near future.

Thanks to all,

Allen

Abouttime

Reaction score
Here is the set for a 70, it says B body but will work. I like the first set I posted but typically used parts of both, depends on how original you want to be.

I had already purchased a set of clips, but jus couldn't figure out where they went...lots of holes in the inner fenders. I think I understand the layout now. I thought I had taken pictures but that was probably several hard drives ago. Thankfully I haven't touched the rear harnesses or any of the dash wiring.

I must say that the people on this site are extremely helpful and forthcoming with good information. I should have registered years ago.

Thanks,
Allen

Tor-Red

Reaction score
It is a good idea to add and run a 10 gauge wire directly from you alternator to the battery pole starter relay this bypasses a lot of amperage through the amp gauge and the firewall connector. And you could change out your amp meter to voltage.

Back