• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger R/T California Gas Cap

Jarhead71

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm trying to figure out the correct gas cap that this Challenger would have came with. I don't think it was a flip top. I've seen some locking ones, some painted, and some chrome. This car was built and sold in CA. Thanks much

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
J46 is the code for a locking gas cap which is what was required for the flip-top"gas cap cover". It was not a cap,only a cover. It came with a s/s trim ring as well. Can't find any codes for painted or chromed standard caps on fender tag or build sheet codes.
I fthose are late model rims, they should only be use as rollers. The bolt pattern is metric and the newer cars have larger studs and lugnut seats.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
For 1970 the standard cap would be painted body color. The chrome ones were sold over the counter as replacements so they didn't have to match the paint. And the CA emissions cap will be different than the federal emissions cap. CA emissions cap on the bottom.

1970 49 State.jpg

1970 Calif Emissions2.jpg

Challenge360

Reaction score
Hi,

Attached, per your request via pm, is a pic of the back of my 1970 'Cuda ecs cap. The back looks similar to the Challenger ecs cap, I think.

Bill

IMG_5808.jpg

Back