• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger SE Tail Panel Molding Aftermarket Extensions?

Jarhead71

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these aftermarket tail panel extensions for an SE Tail panel? I'm assuming you would have to cut the original section off trying to leave enough metal to underlap so the new piece will hold the rest of the tail panel in place.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I installed these trim pieces on my 73 Chally. Not sure why you say anything about cutting? If you remove the three nuts from inside the trunk, the entire trim piece and attachment studs pop off. Then install the studs on the new trim piece, aligning them to the holes, install the felt washers and nuts. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

I am not certain if the felt washers went inside next to the nut or between the stud and body? I tried it both ways on a test run and can't remember which way "looked" correct. Someone else can chime in on the correct location.

Jarhead71

Reaction score
I installed these trim pieces on my 73 Chally. Not sure why you say anything about cutting? If you remove the three nuts from inside the trunk, the entire trim piece and attachment studs pop off. Then install the studs on the new trim piece, aligning them to the holes, install the felt washers and nuts. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

I am not certain if the felt washers went inside next to the nut or between the stud and body? I tried it both ways on a test run and can't remember which way "looked" correct. Someone else can chime in on the correct location.
I guess I should of said 70 SE tail panel trim. It's all one piece. Is the non SE tail panel trim more than one piece?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If your rear panel is that bad you can use them. I have seen it done. You can't cut the whole piece off of the SE panel. You basically cut the quarter moulding that is made into the panel in half. Then you flatten it and solder the new moulding in its place. Before all of that, there are shops that restore the panel. That is the best way to go. Post some pics of yours so we can see if it can be saved without replacing the quarter mouldings.

Jarhead71

Reaction score
If your rear panel is that bad you can use them. I have seen it done. You can't cut the whole piece off of the SE panel. You basically cut the quarter moulding that is made into the panel in half. Then you flatten it and solder the new moulding in its place. Before all of that, there are shops that restore the panel. That is the best way to go. Post some pics of yours so we can see if it can be saved without replacing the quarter mouldings.
Thank you. I understand what you are saying. They are beat up. You have to wonder how the heck they got so damaged. I'll have to get some more pics up close.

IMG_5764.jpg

One of few

Reaction score
Those pieces are tough to find, the 70 SE and the RT/SE had those. I would search for a shop to restore that piece before cutting on it.

brotow

Reaction score
You can't solder aluminum.

Back