• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Western Sport Special

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Hi,Looking for any info on the western sport special challengers. I recently bought one and don't know much about it. Any info would be great. Possibly a registry? Thanks, Mike.

quapman

Reaction score
Barry Washington has a WSS registry through his website The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

The A91 WSS package consisted of the A63 trim package (stainless belt moldings, rear finish panel and bright front valance moldings) plus vinyl top, pedal dress up, rim blow steering wheel and woodgrain standard dash. All the WSSs I've seen also has A/C. The standard engines are "G" 318 and "L" 383 2bbl, but there are about 6 340 cars known to exist.

Here's a great thread written by Barry.

Western Sport Special 1970 Challengers | Moparts Restoration & A12 Forum | Moparts Forums

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Barry Washington has a WSS registry through his website The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

The A91 WSS package consisted of the A63 trim package (stainless belt moldings, rear finish panel and bright front valance moldings) plus vinyl top, pedal dress up, rim blow steering wheel and woodgrain standard dash. All the WSSs I've seen also has A/C. The standard engines are "G" 318 and "L" 383 2bbl, but there are about 6 340 cars known to exist.

Western Sport Special 1970 Challengers | Moparts Restoration & A12 Forum | Moparts Forums

Thanks so much for the info.I will check out the registry as well.Thanks for the info.Mike.

quapman

Reaction score
I used to know all this by heart, but had to check Barry's thread this time for the stuff I had forgotten. I've had two WSS's myself.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
I used to know all this by heart, but had to check Barry's thread this time for the stuff I had forgotten. I've had two WSS's myself.
Hi,Are they pretty rare? I know only about 1400 made. Wonder whats left out there? Mine is a 318-2barrel, D-21 4-Speed and is FC7 with black vinyl top. Has all the Se trim,woodgrain dash,rally wheels. It is missing the rim blow steering wheel but other than that complete. Drum brakes,no ac or power steering. I didn't know it was a wss until about 3 weeks ago until I decoded the fender tag. I have started the resto on it and its in the shop now. Thanks again for the info,Mike,Aurora,Ne.

quapman

Reaction score
A 318 4-speed is rare itself. The 3-speed manual (D13) was standard for the 318...a 4-speed was an upgrade.

One of my old WSS's was a purple 318 as well. It was a stick car, but I don't recall if it was 3 or 4 speed.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Look below this post where it says write your reply. Click the middle button to add pics. After that it depends on what device you are using as to how you proceed. Post any problems you have and we wil help you through them.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Look below this post where it says write your reply. Click the middle button to add pics. After that it depends on what device you are using as to how you proceed. Post any problems you have and we wil help you through them.
DSCN0138.JPG
DSCN0046.JPG
DSCN0047 (1).JPG
DSCN0051 (1).JPG

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Was able to post some pics.The car is totally apart now.No motor, dropped the K-frame with motor and suspension.Rearend out and car is on dollys at my buddies shop for bodywork and paint. Had motor running before being pulled and ran great. Going to go through 4-speed only because its out.

/sixchall

Reaction score
OK gang here's a mystery, when I purchased my '70 challenger as a trade-in from my local Dodge dealership in Mar/1973. As a daily driver the 225 SL/6 was a good move for me, and the color appealed to me EK2 go-mango, however as an early built LA car #113, aug.18,'69, it has all of the WSS trim represented except the vynil top. Strange NO, A91 or A63 on body tag. Mopar guys I've asked figured maybe WSS or SE parts throw at it, to get rid of a hard to sell car. Sat on lot originally for 10 months. I've kept everything with car to this day. Dodge had 40K on it when I bought it, now has 562k on clock.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
OK gang here's a mystery, when I purchased my '70 challenger as a trade-in from my local Dodge dealership in Mar/1973. As a daily driver the 225 SL/6 was a good move for me, and the color appealed to me EK2 go-mango, however as an early built LA car #113, aug.18,'69, it has all of the WSS trim represented except the vynil top. Strange NO, A91 or A63 on body tag. Mopar guys I've asked figured maybe WSS or SE parts throw at it, to get rid of a hard to sell car. Sat on lot originally for 10 months. I've kept everything with car to this day. Dodge had 40K on it when I bought it, now has 562k on clock.
Hi,my car is a WSS with the 318 2 barrel 4 speed. Mine is FC7 with black vinyl top. Fender tag has the A91 and A63. I took a pic of it and added but does not show very well as I went back to look at. I read that all WSS got a vinyl top. EV2 is a cool color.Hard to believe it sat so long. Prob the 6 cylinder. Hope you find some more info.I am trying to find more. Would love to know how many FC7 4 speeds made. Take care,Mike.

/sixchall

Reaction score
Hi Mike, glad you can validate your WSS. I'm believing how they got thier start was a group of Dodge dealers got together, forged an idea for a special model to sell on the west coast.So by mid Dec. they made thier debut. Mainly a cosmetic option not a performance option. I believe later in the 70 year with the closure of the LA plant some orders were transferd to Hamtramck. SL-6 (145), 383, 2 bbl (381) and a little over 1000 for 318 cars. There have been some 340 cars known of. As for my car all of the SE, WSS trim inside and out on an early built car. According to registration sold 1st time May 1970. And no, vynil top. Here's the kicker "Western Sport Special" decals on upper rear quarters??? Barry Washington is a real knowledgable guy on these cars. He has a registry.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Hi Mike, glad you can validate your WSS. I'm believing how they got thier start was a group of Dodge dealers got together, forged an idea for a special model to sell on the west coast.So by mid Dec. they made thier debut. Mainly a cosmetic option not a performance option. I believe later in the 70 year with the closure of the LA plant some orders were transferd to Hamtramck. SL-6 (145), 383, 2 bbl (381) and a little over 1000 for 318 cars. There have been some 340 cars known of. As for my car all of the SE, WSS trim inside and out on an early built car. According to registration sold 1st time May 1970. And no, vynil top. Here's the kicker "Western Sport Special" decals on upper rear quarters??? Barry Washington is a real knowledgable guy on these cars. He has a registry.
Hi,Thanks for the info. I should register my car with him but do not no him or how to go about it. Thanks again,Mike.

/sixchall

Reaction score
Thanks for the timely info challenger6pak. Barry's registry will help him out, as it did for me. AL

/sixchall

Reaction score
Oh! And I believe the WSS option package would cost a customer $199. AL

Back