• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 cuda 383 bellhousing dilema?

70cudaboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this site- but have owned my 70 Cuda 383 since 1979.
I bought the car in 1979 minus the engine , I located a 383 replacement and installed it (using some help from backyard mechanics) I obtained at that time a bellhousing "cast iron one" and a matching 11 in flywheel/clutch set up.
Then the trouble began, I could'nt seem to get the clutch fork to operate in an arc that would not quickly wear out the bushing in the fork-it seemed to move too far back to the rear of the car and swing inwards towards the transmission , so I located an aluminum bellhousing (cast#2892513) and a smaller diameter flywheel and switched the clutch to a 10 1/2 diameter. I also replaced the fork and pivot with new correct mopar #'s at that time-wow over 30 yrs ago!
Still the same problem, I then referred to my build sheet and have determined that the car was spec'd with the HD clutch as original equipment -which is 10.950 diameter,(the 440's all used 11"). I believe I will still use the same flywheel as my 10 1/2 -as the bolt circle spec on the 10.950 measures the same, but my feeling is that the bellhousing is still wrong- the chrysler parts book says the replacement unit should be #2892511 -for all r/rb engines this year-odd since the 440 takes a real 11" clutch.
Am I looking at part#'s vs casting#'s, or is all the info I see on the net wrong? everywhere I see bellhousings for sale and they are the #2892513 and is listed for 440's and 383's with a 10 1/2in clutch.
What is the difference between #2892511 and #2892513 ?
The internet states that cast#2892511 is drilled for two different transmissions, well in fact so is the cast#2892513 that I have.
In addition, I have ordered 3 different brand clutches recently from 3 different sources -all claiming to be 10.950 dia in their catologs -but when you measure them they all measure 10 3/8 dia- and all have identical markings like they are from the same mfgr- in china.
I have ordered the Ram kit now as it states both sizes with two distinct different part#'s-hopefully that will measure correct.
Any thoughts here? I'm out of ideas-thank you so much for any help.
mike

Last edited:

71droptop

Reaction score
Call Jamie Passon at Passon performance570-401-8949 He rebuilds 4spds and knows all the in and outs including proper lenght of clutch fork for b/b.Good Luck

moper

Reaction score
Nope. You need the correct aluminum bellhousing which is the same for B and RB, and the 10.5" smaller flywheel. The '70 "11 inch" really measures 10.95" and it bolts to the 10.5" pressure blate bolt pattern. The iron bell and matching flywheel is for an A or B body, and the position of the pivot is wrong.

70cudaboy

Reaction score
thanks for the info- I did check the bellhousing and it is aluminum, I have id'd the casting # on it and it is the #513 cast#- correct, I have been unable to find anyone that has an "actual"- new 10.950 clutch kit (they are all advertised that way- but are subbing the 10.5 in the kit), I have located a local shop that can custom build one for me with correct springs and even asbestos lining. The fork and pivot are new mopar-30 yrs ago, and the flywheel is also correct- we're going to bolt this thing together one more time and see what happens! mike

Back