• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'70 Cuda restoration/Hemi "clone"

STXCuda

Reaction score
Well here is my stab at the Cuda. About 4 years ago I bought this 1 owner 1970 318 powered Barracuda. Ran and drove and I was on top of the world. I couldn't believe how complete the car was it was really only missing a chrome moulding on the grille! I brought it home and started taking it apart as my plans were to do a rotisserie resto with a Hemi swap. In my opinion it had little rust. Due to the vinyl top the typical rust at the base of front and back glass and some small rust on the trunk floor. It sat in my shop for a few years but I am back on the project. Thanks for all the great info that is shared on this forum! DSC_0198 (640x425).jpgDSC_0210 (640x425).jpgDSC_0321 (640x426).jpgDSC_0328 (640x426).jpgDSC_0383 (640x424).jpgDSC_0455 (640x424).jpgDSC_0459 (640x424).jpgDSC_0460 (640x424).jpgDSC_0471 (640x424).jpg

DSC_0198 (640x425).jpg

DSC_0210 (640x425).jpg

DSC_0321 (640x426).jpg

DSC_0328 (640x426).jpg

DSC_0383 (640x424).jpg

DSC_0455 (640x424).jpg

DSC_0459 (640x424).jpg

DSC_0460 (640x424).jpg

DSC_0471 (640x424).jpg

STXCuda

Reaction score
Ha, yeah you spotted the frame machine back there. I own a collision/mechanic shop. I am a mechanic by passion and nature, I have built many engines, but the Hemi has me worried. Not sure if I am willing to take it on. Not that it won't come out fine and powerful, just all the "hidden" tricks and improvements that you read about in the manuals that kind of make me question if I am capable or more than anything that my local machine shop who has never worked on a Hemi could understand all the things I expect to be done. Maybe just overthinking it. Any recommendations for experienced Hemi machine shops or builders?

Ray

Reaction score
Nice car. Typical rust areas. Looks like you have things well in hand. Sorry not much to offer on the old hemi, but I am sure someone will chime in.

Reaction score
Chuck Lofgren, Lofgren Auto Specialties 763-784-0687
Won the Hemi challenge a few years back.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Nice start for a project car.
If you are doing the frame off then be sure to change out the support panel the radiator mounts to so there is the wider opening for the required larger radiator.
Easy to miss until after car is painted. :oops:
That is one of the things I always see forgotten when people drop the big ones in and attend car shows.

Mike.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Where did you get that support piece that you welded in?
I am not changing mine out for the larger opening unit because my car is in good original shape. It is tight but I am working my changes within the confines of the existing opening. Sticking with the small block I will be able to pull radiator off of the core support towards the engine and mount using adapter brackets. No cutting here...

This link has the whole core support. I didn't see option for smaller opening version like yours/mine or for just the single panel.
I have no experience on their products though. There is also a thread on here about produce selections.

https://www.autometaldirect.com/sto...E-Body-71-72-B-Body-Radiator-Support-Assembly

Mike

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
High perf cars had a larger (26 in wide, I think) radiator opening, I would really reconsider changing it out now, even if staying with a small block. Look how small the radiator is in the first photo. More Hp will = more heat. Besides why worry about originality when you put in those boxed supports (very cool). I have had very good experience with AMD panels...

Last edited:

STXCuda

Reaction score
High perf cars had a larger (26 in wide, I think) radiator opening, I would really reconsider changing it out now, even if staying with a small block. Look how small the radiator is in the first photo. More Hp will = more heat. Besides why worry about originality when you put in those boxed supports (very cool). I have had very good experience with AMD panels...

Thanks Adam, I had no idea about the wider radiator opening. I don't remember seeing that when I ordered the radiator support reinforcement. I will definitely look into that and re-do that for sure. Where I live heat is a massive factor.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Thanks Adam, I had no idea about the wider radiator opening. I don't remember seeing that when I ordered the radiator support reinforcement. I will definitely look into that and re-do that for sure. Where I live heat is a massive factor.

Yes, that is why I mentioned it earlier.
Would not be happy time to find out more chopping would be necessary AFTER paint and reassembly. Typically the radiator is one of the last things to install.

Back