• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Challenger Assembly starts

340challconvert

Reaction score
Todd, I used a regular floor jack years ago to install a transmissions by myself, when I was younger. I was able to use my arms to balance the trans on the floor jack and used my legs to jack up the handle to raise the trans to the proper height, then rolling the trans up to meet the engine.

NOT these days; I bought a HF low profile trans jack with a large, flat platform and holding chain and just raised and rolled the jack into position. The inexpensive HF trans jack made the process much easier. It was worth the money for the jack!

340challconvert

Reaction score
How long do you think before she will be back on the road?
Hoping to get the car movable. Engine is primed and ready, trans in, and I just installed the Accurate factory exhaust. Need to get the original radiator re-cored, install the new u joints on the drive shaft, then do the initial engine break in. Waiting on the starter relay to trans harness ordered from Year One. Original one in rough shape! I keep plugging away! Thanks for asking.
And sorry Todd, did not mean to hi-jack the thread!

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Hoping to get the car movable. Engine is primed and ready, trans in, and I just installed the Accurate factory exhaust. Need to get the original radiator re-cored, install the new u joints on the drive shaft, then do the initial engine break in. Waiting on the starter relay to trans harness ordered from Year One. Original one in rough shape! I keep plugging away! Thanks for asking.
And sorry Todd, did not mean to hi-jack the thread!
It's all good! We all need to see each other's progress!

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Good progress this weekend. 727 is IN. Slaptick linkage connected. I am ready to move on to radiator and coolant. The Wieand manifold has a 2.5" opening for the Thermostat. Anyone have a recommendation? Stock Thermos fall in.... No bueno.

722022661.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Ok latest update. Radiator in. Had to get different hoses as the aftermarket outlets were in a different spot than stock but I wanted the beefy radiator to cool the hopped up 340. Finally got the right alternator brackets. Then I clean up the power steering pump and install it. Original car was a 318. My PS pulley is like 2.5" forward of the crank pulley. What am I missing??? See pics.

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Ok latest update. Radiator in. Had to get different hoses as the aftermarket outlets were in a different spot than stock but I wanted the beefy radiator to cool the hopped up 340. Finally got the right alternator brackets. Then I clean up the power steering pump and install it. Original car was a 318. My PS pulley is like 2.5" forward of the crank pulley. What am I missing??? See pics.

View attachment 116706

View attachment 116707

View attachment 116708

View attachment 116709

View attachment 116710

Here is the alignment on mine. Obviously if the other pulleys align, you gotta have the incorrect pulley location on the PS pump via an incorrect pump or wrong PS shaft?
Pulley.jpg

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Here is the alignment on mine. Obviously if the other pulleys align, you gotta have the incorrect pulley location on the PS pump via an incorrect pump or wrong PS shaft?
View attachment 116728
Thanks....the aluminum water pump is more forward...so the PS pump needs to be closer to the back...I found there are 2 pumps for the year...one is like what you show...there is another that is back a few inches.....thanks again for your input!

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
OK here is an update. PS Pump IN - had to buy new one that fit. Had to replace alternator to a SINGLE wire as the American Wire Kit does not work with the stock MOPAR set up. I have an HEI set up anyway. Got 14+V while running. Primed the 727....overfilled it a bit. It told me so by leaking out of the Speedo spot. And for good measure the first Neutral Safety Switch I tried was bad out of the box. Last battle - Driveshaft. Car came with a 904 and the old shaft is too long. I am having one built with the right yolk. I will be able to do a driveway burnout in a week! TJ

Motor.jpg

mrmopar340

Reaction score
OK here is an update. PS Pump IN - had to buy new one that fit. Had to replace alternator to a SINGLE wire as the American Wire Kit does not work with the stock MOPAR set up. I have an HEI set up anyway. Got 14+V while running. Primed the 727....overfilled it a bit. It told me so by leaking out of the Speedo spot. And for good measure the first Neutral Safety Switch I tried was bad out of the box. Last battle - Driveshaft. Car came with a 904 and the old shaft is too long. I am having one built with the right yolk. I will be able to do a driveway burnout in a week! TJ

View attachment 117766
If you put a alternator gauge on this please share. I am getting ready to put the same harness in my car. I bought the alternator and have been wondering what to use to monitor state of charge.
Put you a digital voltage limiter as well to protect your gauges.

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
If you put a alternator gauge on this please share. I am getting ready to put the same harness in my car. I bought the alternator and have been wondering what to use to monitor state of charge.
Put you a digital voltage limiter as well to protect your gauges.
I saw a few articles....there is a diagram out there......also send a note to the tech suppport peeps they are REALLY good about getting back to you....they actually gve me instructions on how to bench test my dash to check the gauges....

Todd Jackson

Reaction score

View attachment 117766
Forgot to mention got the motor purring at 12 Deg
BTDC

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Updates - lots of finish work on body. Tranny in. Had to have driveshaft MADE because the 904 was too long with the old 318. Exhaust in from front to back....

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

Back