• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 cuda

raccinjason

Reaction score
I have 71 340 cuda non number match. Would you build 440 motor or build 340 ? already changed car to a 4 speed and has some aftermarket sheet metal. I would like some input.

burdar

Reaction score

It's lighter so the car will handle better. It will get better miliage and will look correct for the car. My $.02

burntorange70

Reaction score
Could go either way. Just depends on what you want and how you will be driving it. Could always change back to the 340 at a later time if you wanted.

73 kooda

Reaction score
I have a a 340 in my 73. I was considering the same thing. My plan is to build the 340 bulletprooof, throw a turbo in it, and call it done. Couple reasons.. Heavier motor means heavier springs shocks and brakes needed.. If you look at et's on the motors, the 340 isnt much slower, maybe a second at most, and thats in perfect conditions. The 440 won't handle as well, thats well known cause the weight difference. Not to mention gas prices on a 440 at about 6 miles per gallon..if you throw the turbo in the motor, i can't imagine a 440 keeping up, as a turbo will sometimes double horsepower, as long as you don't run the boost too high and blow the motor...i guess it all depends on what you want. Now some purists will say the turbo will ruin the nostalgia, but man you can't argue with the dyno....if anyone on here is running a similiar motor, I'd love to hear what they think...

raccinjason

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I have been back and fourth about selling car because of cost and time. Seems if you hemi or 440 6 pack car desireability goes up, just wondering what mopar enthusiest think.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I would stick with the 340, great power to be had with them, high and fast reving and better handleing for the longf nose E-body. My 2 cents.

pagilman

Reaction score
I have a 340 in my 73 and am happy with it, plenty of HP but there are times I wish I had a 440+ 6 in her, never satisfied....lol

by the way welcome aboard........

ramenth

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

as far as the engine goes you could meet in the middle and build a 416 out of the 340...:icon_biggrin:

Seriously, though, it's your car, bud. Have fun with it, remember it's a hobby, and build it so that you like it.

a68postcar

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

as far as the engine goes you could meet in the middle and build a 416 out of the 340...:icon_biggrin:

Seriously, though, it's your car, bud. Have fun with it, remember it's a hobby, and build it so that you like it.
i'm inclined to agree with robert on this one

Back