• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 challenger hvac blower inop

HYDRO

Reaction score
Got a little confusion my blower for the hvac wouldn’t work so I confirmed the motor was good and went to the switch where I found the three female electrical connector melting and one of the male connections on the switch melting and there were no blown fuses so I removed the 5button switch and trying to find the correct switch at the best price so my question is what caused the short with so many different part numbers the correct switch to get thanks for any imput

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
In sort it's not a short. Has to do with the resistance and loose connections. An other high currant draw. Running on low seating.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I suspect loose or bad connections at the switch. I would try to find the same Part number 5 button switch as you have since they are not all configured the same. (even though they say superseded)
Another thing you need to look at is the blower motor itself. They get dirty and dried out creating more amperage to run on high speed. That is what causes many overheated wires and connectors.
What number switch do you have now?

HYDRO

Reaction score
I suspect loose or bad connections at the switch. I would try to find the same Part number 5 button switch as you have since they are not all configured the same. (even though they say superseded)
Another thing you need to look at is the blower motor itself. They get dirty and dried out creating more amperage to run on high speed. That is what causes many overheated wires and connectors.
What number switch do you have now?
It’s a 3431020R

sixpactogo

Reaction score
It’s a 3431020R
OK.....According to my research, any of these would work the same. (2820487, 2571501, 3431017, 3431020, 3895033)
3895790 runs the compressor constantly in defrost mode
3502126 runs the fan on low when ignition is on and all buttons off.
Those are the different switches I have tested and all will work except for the differences mentioned.
Hope this helps.

HYDRO

Reaction score
OK.....According to my research, any of these would work the same. (2820487, 2571501, 3431017, 3431020, 3895033)
3895790 runs the compressor constantly in defrost mode
3502126 runs the fan on low when ignition is on and all buttons off.
Those are the different switches I have tested and all will work except for the differences mentioned.
Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for all your input it really helped

Back