• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 cuda with a 440 oil pan

James in Texas

Reaction score
Hi
In am new to this and this is my first forum post. My name is James and I have a 73 cuda with a 440 and a 727.
My problem is that I put a extra capacity oil pan on and it sticks down below the cross member about 2 inches, with 14 inch rims it's about 3 inches off the ground.
Will this be a problem and can I change it without pulling the motor? Thanks

20190722_184134.jpg

20190722_184122.jpg

Reaction score
You will certainly hit something with that little clearance, and the result won't be pretty!
In stock trim a 383-440 B or RB oil pan will come off easily after the centre steering link under the oil pan is removed.
My only concern might be the length of the extended oil pickup tube may have to be worked around to get the pan off.

S Vicious

Reaction score
Hi
In am new to this and this is my first forum post. My name is James and I have a 73 cuda with a 440 and a 727.
My problem is that I put a extra capacity oil pan on and it sticks down below the cross member about 2 inches, with 14 inch rims it's about 3 inches off the ground.
Will this be a problem and can I change it without pulling the motor? Thanks

View attachment 62013

View attachment 62014
The torsion bars that came in your car are small. At a minimum you should be running the .92 dia.(440) bars
Go larger for more handling and less chance of oil pan damage.
Also consider some type of skid plate that could be attached to the K member.

James in Texas

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I need all the help I can get. I did use a pst suspension torsion bar. Cant remember the diameter but I thought it was bigger (stiffer ) for performance. I actually have been considering that and a larger dia rim to bring it up
I am still debating on whether to pull it out and put a stock one in but the extended pickup may not have room to come out.
What do you have in yours and does it bounce alot because of the weight of the motor?

moparlee

Reaction score
If you want extra capacity over a stock pan, install a Hemi stock oil pan which is 6 qts plus 1 for the filter. It does not hang down below the k-frame like those deep well sump pans. I have the Hemi pan on a 440 and a 383.

James in Texas

Reaction score
That sounds like what I need. I heard you can change a pan without pulling motor from another member
The hemi pan, is this the 402 pan?
Any tips on headers that a working man can afford that aren't a grand

moparlee

Reaction score
That sounds like what I need. I heard you can change a pan without pulling motor from another member
The hemi pan, is this the 402 pan?
Any tips on headers that a working man can afford that aren't a grand

Nope, the 402 pan is a 4 qt plus 1 for filter. You do not need to pull the engine, just drop out the steering center link. I have just disconnected one end of it and then pivot it out of the way.
Can't help you on header recommendations as I don't run them. I am sure someone else will chime in.

James in Texas

Reaction score
Thank you for all your help. I finally got the car back from the body shop after 6 years and it was in parts yep I got stiffed. How does the slap stick a shaped spring install?
One day I will drive it.

20190804_124713.jpg

20190804_124725.jpg

James in Texas

Reaction score
My uncle in 69 with his new charger. What motor is it a hemi he used to talk about a hemi

20190726_151023.jpg

Back