• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil Pan Hitting Steering Center Link

kchekan

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 440 big block to a 500 stroker kit (4.15 stroke/6.76" rod) for my 70 Cuda. I purchased a 7" sump/7 quart stroker oil pan which was recommended by 440source for that stroker kit/e-body. Went to put motor in car and the pan is hitting the steering center link. I was looking at buying the Milodon 31580 Pro Touring pan as it appears it may have better clearance. Wish Mopar would come out with a downward bent steering center/cross link. I can't be the only one who has ran into this issue before. Any suggestions?

Current Oil Pan.PNG

steering cross link.jpg

Daves69

Reaction score
How much does that pan need to go up in order to clear the center link?

Some dimensions for stock oil pans here if it can help.........

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You can oval the lower hole o the idler arm so it drops a little & shim the top bolts on the steering box to lower the pitman arm .

rikkitik

Reaction score
I just finished installing a 31580 on my '71. A bit of a "pain" because Milodon is full of sh** when it comes to windage trays, and fit.
It's a nice pan, but they don't have a tray that actually works with it and the pick-up, "out of the box". Modded 440Source tray on the left. Milodon said, "try the stroker tray" (try???). The pick-up is hard against the std. depth tray, I had to cut out a notch so it would clear, the deeper tray would be worse.
I bought a windage tray from 440Source (1/2 the price), and modified it to fit. Milodon on the right.
BUT, my center link also hits on full lock right. It's fixable (what isn't? lol), for the $$ though, "c'mon man"..........

20230829_171645.jpg

Last edited:
Back