• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 Challenger new fuel tank ?

Woods4291

Reaction score
Ok im replacing the original fuel tank in my 74 Challenger and was wondering with the new one if I just block off all the hoses on the front side I assume I would just plug them. I'm just running a mechanical pump and no return..the old return line off the fuel sending unit is basically my vent .

20220628_125116_copy_2250x3000.jpg

Reaction score
Do you work at that shop that did @jeryst gas tank?

if your vent is the return in the sending unit, when you fill the tank the fuel will be higher that that vent, so what will stop the gas from leaking out onto the street, or your tailpipes? the vent needs to go up so that doesn’t happen.

Woods4291

Reaction score
Do you work at that shop that did @jeryst gas tank?

if your vent is the return in the sending unit, when you fill the tank the fuel will be higher that that vent, so what will stop the gas from leaking out onto the street, or your tailpipes? the vent needs to go up so that doesn’t happen.

Lol I know that it needs to be higher. There will be a hose attached to it tied into the factory metal line which is way higher.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Have you looked at a stainless steel tank without those vents?

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Didn't know about them I already ordered the same tank as in pic..just figured I could plug the holes
I guess they all have vents, I wouldn’t worry too much about being stainless as long as you got a quality tank.

BSG

Reaction score
I did that with the 72 and always had a fuel smell Just recently went through and hooked up everything correctly and no more vapors they are there for a reason

Woods4291

Reaction score
I did that with the 72 and always had a fuel smell Just recently went through and hooked up everything correctly and no more vapors they are there for a reason
Yeah just that the metal cannister they go to seems like some rust would fall back into tank little by little. I was going to vent tank with one line and see how it goes..guess I'll just save the old lines and metal can in case I get gas smell

BSG

Reaction score
Thats exactly the rout I took and even soldered up the extra vents. It was a drag having a new car that smelled like gas all the time. I'm doing my 71 now and it has a big ass pipe that runs through the floor and has 4 lines hook up to it, I cant wait to see how that works when I dump the clutch and get the fuel sliding around :cool:

Back