• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 'cuda trunk torsion

daroldmac

Reaction score
Guys, need some assistance.
Had to replace my deck lid on my 74 barracuda.
I took the hinges and torsion bar out to clean them up and kill the rust and re-coat. Now for some reason its too tight, It has the single bar, I thought I put it back in correctly, even got a new plastic piece on the right, put the torsion bar at the first hole, and the torsion is way too tight, the lid will fly up if I mount it.
Any photos or suggestions to fix this problem?

THANKS FOR ANY ASSISTANCE!

Speedracer3456

Reaction score
The tension is going to feel like a lot with the trunk lid not installed. I'd be willing to bet if you bolt it on it won't come up as fast as you think.

daroldmac

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but I do remember when I took the decklid off, before I removed the torsion bar and hinges it was not near as hard to push down as it is now, That's when i started wondering... was it ever in right? or did I do something wrong? When I opened it before it just barely popped up, I have a dodge aspen that has a wing on it, and when you open that sucker you better be hanging on, it flies open, I do not want that to happen with my 'cuda.

Anybody have a 73-74 with the single bar with photos - just want to see how others are set-up. I thought I put mine back the exact way it came off...
THANKS!!!

daroldmac

Reaction score
angle grind the heavy rust, sand carefully the rest, wax and grease remover, then sprayed mar-hyde 3513 over the areas, e350 epoxy primer, base, clear. more details and brands of stuff if you need them.

ramenth

Reaction score
Nah, details on the product aren't necessary. Just wondering how you took care of the rust, as excess heat from something like sandblasting can actually take the twist out of a torsion bar (in this case, rod).

Back