• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8 3/4" or 8 1/4" rear end

Avalanche

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to tell the difference between a 8 3/4" to a 8 1/4" rear. Is there any way to tell if its a sure grip without opening it up?

burntorange70

Reaction score
Here you go.

To check if it is a sure grip or not.

Jack the rear end up till both rear tires are off the ground.

Turn one tire while looking at the other one.

If both tires turn the same way it is a sure grip

If they turn in opposite directions it is an open rear end.

id%20chart.jpg

Last edited:

Avalanche

Reaction score
Now, since I have an open 8 3/4" rear, how difficult it it to change it to a sure grip?
Can I just change the gears on the one I have, or is it better to find another center section that already is a sure grip.

TinCuda

Reaction score
I am in the same boat with the same question.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
For an 8 3/4 it is not that hard to pull the ring gear & replace the open case with a sure grip , you need a dial indicator & measure the play between the ring & pinion in 3-4 places BEFORE you diassemble .
Then undo the caps & adjusters & remove the ring gear & case , unbolt the ring gear , they use left hand thread .
Now mount the ring gear on the new sure grip torquing the bolts & using locktite .
Set the ring gear assy back into the case & adjust the adjuster wheels with the caps loose but in place until the same backlash is measured between the ring & pinion gears & the correct brg preload is applied & retorque the cap bolts .
I prefer to install a new sure grip as buying used you are probably buying trash that is worn out .

Avalanche

Reaction score
For an 8 3/4 it is not that hard to pull the ring gear & replace the open case with a sure grip , you need a dial indicator & measure the play between the ring & pinion in 3-4 places BEFORE you diassemble .
Then undo the caps & adjusters & remove the ring gear & case , unbolt the ring gear , they use left hand thread .
Now mount the ring gear on the new sure grip torquing the bolts & using locktite .
Set the ring gear assy back into the case & adjust the adjuster wheels with the caps loose but in place until the same backlash is measured between the ring & pinion gears & the correct brg preload is applied & retorque the cap bolts .
I prefer to install a new sure grip as buying used you are probably buying trash that is worn out .

Wher can I buy the sure grip gears to do the conversion?
Having a hard time locating them.
Thanks

TinCuda

Reaction score
I guess this maybe a dumb question but, can I get a new unit, say a Detroit Locker and install it in my existing open 8 3/4 housing and use the ring/pin with 3.23 ratio that I currently have?

Back