• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8 3/4 Rear Center Section 741 case

DY31970

Reaction score
Hi, There is a guy selling an 8 3/4 center section, 741case, 3.23 gears, non sire-grip for a fair price. It's the gear ratio I want. Can I convert it to a sure-grip? If so, is it relatively easy? Or would it better getting a sure grip right off the bat?

Last edited:

pschlosser

Reaction score
It can be done.

Thread over on FEBO

Changes to clearances and shimming is often involved, and it's tricky and not easily DIY. Some must take their pumpkins and/or axles to a shop for proper fitment.

That said, I hear good things about using a Detroit TrueTrac unit, instead.

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
Changing out the peg leg for a sure-grip is pretty straight forward, no shims involved. Since you're using the same gears you don't even need to mess with the pinion gear the only part that uses shims. Pull the carrier and swap the ring gear onto the sure grip carrier and put it back in. The carrier adjustment is done with the threaded collars on each side, no shims involved.

You'll want to check your engagement pattern on the gear teeth using white grease before removing the carrier and when you put the new carrier back in you want to adjust it to get the same tooth engagement pattern. The FSM explains how to do it. If you're not comfortable doing it, you can pull the carrier out and take it to a shop and have them do it pretty reasonably.

Be advised, the ring gear bolts are left hand thread.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Factory service manual
You need to measure the backlash with a dial gauge before disassembly , the side adjusters are threaded so you need to have the measurement to reset the back lash after removal of the center carrier to install the sure grip

Xcudame

Reaction score
Rockauto sales copies of the Factory Service Manual. Both paper and disc for all e-bodies. I get one of each. Paper copy for the garage and electronic copy for the laptop. If you don't have a dial indicator, get one with a magnetic base. It gets used for so many things on our Mopars.

challeng61

Reaction score
One thing you should consider is the size of the pinion shaft for a 741 case is only 1-3/8". A 742 case is 1-3/4" and a 489 case has a 1-7/8". Just things to consider depending on use.

Back