• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A body a833 into 70 Challenger?

DONALD J KONRAD

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 70 Challenger. It's 318 with 904. I would like to convert to a 4 speed. I have a 833 out of an A body. Can I change the tail housing or is there an adapter? Or trade for E body trans? I would like to know before I go forward.
Thanks

rklein71

Reaction score
Used A-body four speeds are rarer than b/e body four speeds. I would sell it and get the right one. You might even come out ahead. If you have the tail shaft and output shaft, you can swap them out and then sell the shorter tail shaft and output shaft.

70chall440

Reaction score
Good advice here, sell the A body trans and buy the more available B/E.

That said, if you are willing to spend the money, anything is possible. Check with Brewers and/or Passion for parts.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree you could modify the A body 833 but why ?
you even have the option of installing the 833 OD version from a van or truck if you want to .

Daves69

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 70 Challenger. It's 318 with 904. I have a 833 out of an A body. Can I change the tail housing or is there an adapter? Or trade for E body trans? I would like to know before I go forward.
IMO, I wouldn't worry too much about a trans swap till I had the car.
Converting is pretty involved if you've not done it previously. You'll make it more difficult trying to use that A body trans.
In the interim, figure out exactly "which" A body trans and it's condition you have so you can market it. Some are better/quicker sellers than others.

rklein71

Reaction score
Good point on the a-body four speeds. The 68 and later have a 30 spline output shaft for the driveshaft and is more desirable than the 23 spline earlier four speeds. Brewers is a good source for info on mopar four speeds as stated before.

PS. I converted my 71 Barracuda from a 904 to a four speed, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Rod

IMG_4664.JPG

oldkimmer

Reaction score
I think I seen on FABO in other stuff for sale or wanted or the for trade there is a guy with a b or e body 4 gear wanting an A body 4 gear. Kim

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
not really as the shifter location is in the wrong place , better to seel it & find a B/E/ Truck/ Van 833 & install that

Bobby Sixkiller

Reaction score
So are the truck van overdrive 833 the same size externally as the b/e body 4 speeds. I have a van with the od and plan on putting it behind a 300 hp 360.

Back