• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A833 2nd gear issue

FJ5 1970 440

Reaction score
If I'm in second gear and I let off the throttle and an not holding the shifter back the trans will pop into neutral.
This is the only gear that does this. The shift from first to second has a different feel to it compared to the shifting of all the other gears. Kind of hard to put language to it, A little tighter or stiffer maybe? Fluid was changed to a GL4 designed for yellow metals.
Your thoughts????????????
Thanks Marty..........
C 55.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The trans needs 80-90 non synthetic GL4 to operate correctly , it is always second gear this is used the most , generally the snycro hub & dogs are worn out .

Steve340

Reaction score
Check your shifter is adjusted correctly and all linkages are operating properly.
If it is - the trans will need to come out.

Daves69

Reaction score
Once you set neutral for all and find it still pops out of gear, you might try to tweak the 1-2 shift rod biased to 2nd a turn.

FJ5 1970 440

Reaction score
I am using a non synthetic 80/90 and i've tried adjusting the first/second shift rod. Looks like it's gonna have to come out.
Too bad, otherwise it runs smooth and quiet. Thanks guys.....

Reaction score
My 70 Cuda did the same thing..... when I let off the throttle it would pop into neutral. Happened a lot. As part of the car restoration, I disassembled the transmission. Once inside I found the shift fork for second gear had one of the ears broken off. The broken off section was laying in the bottom of the case. I rebuilt the trans with new synchronizers, bearings, etc, and of course a new shift fork. The car is now back together with over 300 miles after the rebuild. Hasn't popped out of second gear yet.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I am using a non synthetic 80/90 and i've tried adjusting the first/second shift rod. Looks like it's gonna have to come out.
Too bad, otherwise it runs smooth and quiet. Thanks guys.....
If it just started out of the blue, then it most likely is internal. I have assembled a side casing where one of the shift forks was inverted by accident. Can't remember which one but it caused that same issue and I ripped the casing back off, figured out what I did wrong and put it back together with no more issues for years. Something else to look into anyhow.

heminut

Reaction score
generally the snycro hub & dogs are worn out .
This is what I have usually found to be the case. I've been messing with muscle cars for 50 years (damn that makes me feel old) and every manual trans I've had that would pop out of gear when decelerating was bad synchros.

Back