• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mystery Stalling Issue

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is transmission related. Is there surge, delay or bind when you put in reverse? I'm not an expert on automatic transmissions I know someone here is. They might recognize the issue.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Back to posable fuel issue. Looking at you intake I can't quite see a gasket. That acts a thermal brake. I keeps the fuel from boiling. Sometimes fuel pump gets hot too. Problem might be as simple as a fuel filter change. Higher rpms push fuel through filter. Lower rpms the flow is restricted.

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
So it it only an issue when backing into the garage not backing up any where else? The problem is more than likely your not feeding it enough Fords and Chevys. As you know, Barracudas hit fast and hard they like feeding on shiny things that move.
The diet has actually been quite good, but maybe a little indigestion.

It is reproducible. I’ve backed up with the wheels cocked when the engine is warm in parking lots and the miss often appears. It gets progressively worse till it stalls. That’s why I mentioned earlier that it seems to create a misfire from the load on the engine from being in gear, the alternator, because of the backup lights (headlights being on makes it worse), plus the load from the power steering.

But, it is not a stall like you would get from overloading the engine like when letting out a clutch without giving throttle that just kills the engine. It’s fine until the miss starts. Simply increasing the idle doesn’t fix it. That actually increases the likelihood it that it stalls when put in gear. The idle is at the factory setting. The load is somehow causing an issue with the ignition or carburetor, or something that is creating a misfire. It only stalls when the misfire is happening.

We are trying to find an old Sun oscilloscope in the hopes it will expose the cylinder where the miss is or let us know if it is in random cylinders. We thought we had one located in Pittsburgh, but it fell through.

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is transmission related. Is there surge, delay or bind when you put in reverse? I'm not an expert on automatic transmissions I know someone here is. They might recognize the issue.
It seems to go into fear fine. No surges or delays. And there is never a miss for the first 30 seconds or so. Someone did suggest a higher stall speed converter. It has a stock one now. It is the original to a 318 motor. It’s a 727. There is a shift kit in the transmission and it does bang the gears and will burn the tires in second even when in drive without using the slap stick.

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Back to posable fuel issue. Looking at you intake I can't quite see a gasket. That acts a thermal brake. I keeps the fuel from boiling. Sometimes fuel pump gets hot too. Problem might be as simple as a fuel filter change. Higher rpms push fuel through filter. Lower rpms the flow is restricted.
This is something I have been concerned about. I have two cool carbs on it. When it had the crazy cam you could hear the gas boiling. That issue is much improved with the milder cam, but you make a great point.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I was just giving consideration to the mechanical element that would be binding in reverse. Wonder if a broken motor mount is allowing drive train components to move and pinch a wire in the trans tunnel area? Maybe post a short video of what it is doing.

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I'm going to guess with this issue, you already did a tune up or checked things.
Yes. Has new everything, cap, rotor, wires. We tried another carburetor, though that was before the cam was changed, but the original one was set up and seems to be fine - and it is a new carburetor. Timing set, etc.

We got some looms for the wires because a Porsche mechanic suggested once the engine gets hot that the plug wires could be shorting. He said that’s an issue with porsches. Hope to get those on soon. It already had the ones that come with the wire set, but the looms might work better.

Good point about a video. I will get that in a few days because I have to work late the next few days. Thanks 👍

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Yes. Has new everything, cap, rotor, wires. We tried another carburetor, though that was before the cam was changed, but the original one was set up and seems to be fine - and it is a new carburetor. Timing set, etc.

We got some looms for the wires because a Porsche mechanic suggested once the engine gets hot that the plug wires could be shorting. He said that’s an issue with porsches. Hope to get those on soon. It already had the ones that come with the wire set, but the looms might work better.

Good point about a video. I will get that in a few days because I have to work late the next few days. Thanks 👍
Ok.

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I have been overwhelmed at work and/or the it rained every day till today I finally got a video of it stalling in reverse, but it seems we can only upload pictures? I don’t see a way to upload videos.

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Put it on youtube and post a link here.
OK, I think the video worked. I drove it about 10 miles. Ran fantastically. Lot’s of stop signs. No stalling. Lot’s of power like always. Went to back it into the garage. Put it into reverse and the miss started. It stalled. I went to get my wife to video it while I started it and put it in reverse and this is what happened as always:

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Let me and maybe the others go back and refresh on your problem. So we don't ask the same question. someone here might pick up on it right away. I remember it was stalling only when backing up. was it while you were backing up or just in reverse?

Last edited:

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Let me and maybe the others go back and refresh on your problem. someone here might pick up on it right away. I remember it was stalling only when backing up. was it while you were backing up or just in reverse?
Yes, while in backing up and just in reverse. It runs great 99% of the time. It is never a problem when cold. It’s only after it’s driven hard, but it’s not overheating. When I back it up it seems like there is too much load on it because if the lights are on it is worse. I have changed the alternator hoping that would help, but it didn’t. It has a backup camera, so that comes on, plus the backup lights. I also have to turn it hard to make the swing to get it into the garage. It is a full 180 degrees, so the power steering is working a bit also. This time I just put it in gear and it stalled, but if it is rolling it reduces the chances that it stalls. I guess because it reduces the load since the trans is moving also.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Not saying this is the problem. I know this not your symptoms but I making a point.
Just a thought, because I first hand had a problem and seen others with transmission problem. One instance The trans would slip until revved up then it go fairly well. Then after a while it would puke trans fluid from the dip stick tube. And stall once in a great while. Changed filter and was ok for a good while and would act up again. This went on for a few years.
I'm not a transmission guy ( Note I didn't want to type trans guy) but had a number of expediences as other here. someone here maybe transmission guy.
So to the point. You say it does't do it when cold only when hot. You could here the fuel boiling. The issues I described above came from over heating. Clogged trans filter,clogged vent tube, bad trans cooler or bad trans fluid.
The real contributor was the wrong trans fluid. changed it and no problems for the past year. One other fix that was done prior to all this was a snake oil. I don't believe in it but I seen it work more than one time. Seafome Trans Tune. Loosen sticking Trans valves from not being run enough. You have nothing to loose but $20.

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Not saying this is the problem. I know this not your symptoms but I making a point.
Just a thought, because I first hand had a problem and seen others with transmission problem. One instance The trans would slip until revved up then it go fairly well. Then after a while it would puke trans fluid from the dip stick tube. And stall once in a great while. Changed filter and was ok for a good while and would act up again. This went on for a few years.
I'm not a transmission guy ( Note I didn't want to type trans guy) but had a number of expediences as other here. someone here maybe transmission guy.
So to the point. You say it does't do it when cold only when hot. You could here the fuel boiling. The issues I described above came from over heating. Clogged trans filter,clogged vent tube, bad trans cooler or bad trans fluid.
The real contributor was the wrong trans fluid. changed it and no problems for the past year. One other fix that was done prior to all this was a snake oil. I don't believe in it but I seen it work more than one time. Seafome Trans Tune. Loosen sticking Trans valves from not being run enough. You have nothing to loose but $20.
It runs cool now that the stock cam is in it, but your story relates to another weird issue I had. When I put the transmission in 1982 the reverse lights were always on when driving. No one could figure it out. It wasn’t till a few years ago when I had the transmission rebuilt, the rebuilder remarked that there was a 1967 valve body in the transmission (1971). I didn’t think anything of it till a couple of years ago when I installed a backup camera and now it was on all the time when driving.

Then it dawned on me that the valve body was the problem. At any rate, I purchased a 1970 rooster comb and had it installed. That fixed the reverse light issue, but it has all new fluid etc. in the transmission, but you’re right. It never hurts to try a simple thing like that.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I never messed with any thing like that. Neutral Safety Back-Up Insulator Service 1970-2002. It just seems like pressure when you are backing up is not quite right. I seems as if is not fully in reverse and or maybe in a forward gear,or not disengaged. I'm not a transmission guy. I can break what's not broke and brake what doesn't need fixed when it come to transmissions. Just my opinion and experience. I know there are ports to check the pressure. look in the service manual for how to check it or someone who knows how. I would think ther might be a transmission guy here who would deny or confirm the issue. Try the snake oil maybe something is sticking.

Last edited:
Back