• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A833 challenging to engage reverse

Nitrohog

Reaction score
My trans shifts beautifully up and down through all of the forward gears, however when it comes time to back up it seems more challenging than it should be. I end up putting considerable pressure on the shifter and wiggling it fore and aft a bit to get the shifter to go far enough left to engage reverse. Once it's there there's no problem engaging the gear but sometimes even going back to forward gears includes a "pop". Is there some sort of reverse lockout detent that's sticking or do I just need to adjust the linkages?

brian6pac

Reaction score
It's ether the pilot bearing, bushing dragging or the clutch is not disengaging. When you put it in 1st the synchro stops the input shaft from turning in rev there is nothing to stop it.

Daves69

Reaction score
If you know the clutch disengages fully and the lube is clean and full then I would certainly look at the linkage. Before adjusting anything though find neutral throughout the shift pattern. Attempt to slide an alignment pin in the shifter per the service manual. If difficult to insert or won't go you may need to adjust one or more of the rod lengths. The alignment procedure is in the SM as well. This shifter alignment, IMO, is a starting point.
I have found instances where I needed to adjust a rod a turn one way or the other for smoother shifting while driving. In effect you're tuning the linkage through some trial and error. It's important to be able to return to "where it was" if adjusting.

Reaction score
If the shifter in adjusted properly, I have seen the 2 special shouldered bolts that help to align the transmission side cover missing and just regular bolts installed.
This makes reverse gear harder to engage as the internal linkage "binds up" as it engages. The shouldered bolts go in only two locations as noted in the service manual. Hope this helps, Ken

moparlee

Reaction score
If the shifter in adjusted properly, I have seen the 2 special shouldered bolts that help to align the transmission side cover missing and just regular bolts installed.
This makes reverse gear harder to engage as the internal linkage "binds up" as it engages. The shouldered bolts go in only two locations as noted in the service manual. Hope this helps, Ken

X2 on this. I had the same problem one time. There is a cam on the reverse internal linkage that was too tight to "cam in". You need those shoulder bolts in the proper location. Have you had the side cover off or did this condition just now show up?

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
Also check the shifter tabs, quite often the reverse tab hole is elongated.

Sheldon

Nitrohog

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I just bought the car and I'm getting a few issues worked out before spring. Just to clarify, it shifts into reverse just fine if I can get the shifter far enough to the left, getting it there is the problem lol. Where can I find a service manual? Are they available in pdf?

brian6pac

Reaction score
The shifter needs adjusted or you just need to start lifting weights!!

Reaction score
The shifter is just a hurst shifter, so you should be able to find something on line. It is a very simple adjustment as long as you put in a centre pin to lock the shifter in neutral before touching any adjustment. You'll see a notch or hole in the centre of the shifter from the outside at the bottom. I have a pin in my tool box I'll measure it tomorrow, it's just a standard size 1/4" I think about 2- 21/2" long

Nitrohog

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! A little Google searching netted me a 73 service manual which should be close enough.

Reaction score
I measured my hurst tool, it's .250 or 1/4" 2 1/2 inches long then about a 45 degree bend and about 1".after the bend. It just looks like cold roll steel it's not high tech! The bend is to make it easy to pull out after you're done adjusting the linkage. Good luck Ken

Nitrohog

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm sure that I have some 1/4" mild steel laying around the shop too!

Back