• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AAR clone build

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
I am building my bucket list car, an AAR clone, but the intent is to build what I have always wanted. The car started as a 72 340 Cuda automatic. I am building a 340TA motor probably with fuel injection. and I am backing it up with a T-56 6-speed manual (Silversort trans) with an 8 3/4 rear. I am looking at using the RMS AlterKtion suspension front and rear with biq brakes hydraboost system, and 17" wheels in my original B3 blue.
I have no intent to pass it off as an original AAR, but it will look like a 70 car front to back, with hood, AAR stripes, grill, taillights, side marker lights, etc.
I have been acquiring parts for it for many years and probably wont have it together for a few more.

I am interested in feedback you might have on the suspension setup, transmission conversion, bellhousing, crossmember and hydraboost install - specifically what have you seen and what others have done using these same parts. I would like to know what parts worked best.
I am very close to purchasing parts and would like feedback before putting money down if anyone has any.

IMG_7394.jpeg

Xcudame

Reaction score
First off, I love the idea of building a car the way you want. After all, it's your car. I like your drive train combination. The 340TA motors can be built to buzz to 7500 to 8000rpm! They have extra material in the main cap webbing that's begging for four bolt main caps. Remember, stock small blocks are good to about 550 hp.
IMO, you'd be surprised what the stock type suspension can be modified to do. Bigger torsion bars, xhd leaf springs, bigger sway bars and tubular upper control arms that allow more caster and camber really makes e-bodies handle. Plus the jaw dropping factor when people realize your great handling Cuda has the stock looking suspension. Sure, there's trick aftermarket front and rear suspension setups that work well, but our factory geometry is pretty good and lightweight. Especially when it's tweaked even better.

gzig5

Reaction score
I'm doing essentially the same thing with my 73, with a few different component selections. I like the round tailights and will be using an A833 and stock front/rear suspension designs with better components. I don't think that the aftermarket coil over suspensions perform significantly better, if at all, than a well sorted original and they are not cheap by any means, and I am... New K frame isn't needed for an LA small block so I will invest those funds elsewhere. Maybe a modern 5/6 speed trans.

I plan on doing a hydroboost conversion as well as probably going with a Borgeson steering box. I'll probably go with 18" wheels and 295 or wider tires, prefferably on a square setup. 13+" disc brakes with good pads. Plan to do some Auto-X and hit Road America.

I like your plan. Should be a fun car

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
I'm doing essentially the same thing with my 73, with a few different component selections. I like the round tailights and will be using an A833 and stock front/rear suspension designs with better components. I don't think that the aftermarket coil over suspensions perform significantly better, if at all, than a well sorted original and they are not cheap by any means, and I am... New K frame isn't needed for an LA small block so I will invest those funds elsewhere. Maybe a modern 5/6 speed trans.

I plan on doing a hydroboost conversion as well as probably going with a Borgeson steering box. I'll probably go with 18" wheels and 295 or wider tires, prefferably on a square setup. 13+" disc brakes with good pads. Plan to do some Auto-X and hit Road America.

I like your plan. Should be a fun car
I am trying to improve the overall driving experience - I have tried steering box improvements, torsion bar suspension upgrades, control arms improvements on other cars and I still feel like it can still be better, so I think this rack and pinion setup might be the ticket....

gzig5

Reaction score
I am trying to improve the overall driving experience - I have tried steering box improvements, torsion bar suspension upgrades, control arms improvements on other cars and I still feel like it can still be better, so I think this rack and pinion setup might be the ticket....
I won't be much encouragement on that front. While the stock steering box is significantly lacking, the Stage 3 rebuild or the Borgeson unit are supposed to be significantly more precise. My 2000 BMW M5 is the best handling car I've personally driven and it's a big girl at 4000lbs and uses a similar non R&P steering box. The rack and pinion wouldn't fit under the bigger motor. Not to say a good R&P can't be better, but I'll try the old school for a while before making that commitment. Either way I think you are going down the right path.

don selleck

Reaction score
swapped a borgeson steering kit in my aar just a few days ago waiting on the no cut coupler for it now. Put the system in my 68 charger big improvement from stock.

20230912_185535 (1).jpg

IMG_20230824_201308.jpg

Back