• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aftermarket T/a Hood?

Adam

Reaction score
I have never seen the after market hood in person, but originals are commonly warped & cracked. I would consider a reproduction hood..

quapman

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of good feedback on the AAR/Stinger hoods. I've seen the AAR version in person and it was high quality.

jeff968

Reaction score
I have an AAR Fiberglas T/A hood on my T/A. Nice piece. I purchased it in 2004. Back then they were using plastic grills. The grills disintegrated last year from the sun/heat exposure. I contacted them about it and they said they had switched to metal grills a few years after mine was produced. they sent me new grills and I did the repair last year. Looks good again. The hood has extra reinforcement on the hinge area. Despite that it still has bowed some. No where near as bad as a factory hood. I use the T/A springs. You have to drill holes for the washers and hood pins. Overall I'm happy with it. I arranged to pick it up at the Carlisle show to save on shipping.

Wanda73

Reaction score
I'm using Year Ones hood and springs, they use the steel mesh grill, what seems like a lot of reinforcing and inner structure but still have some bowing if the hood is closed for long periods (months, worse in hot TX weather vs Colorado). My neighbors think it always broke because I always leave the hood up in the garage so it doesn't bow. My only complaint, and others may do this I'm not sure, but my hood will collect water in the inner structure if left in the rain, I have a fair amount of rake so it doesn't get to the drains until you lift the hood.

jeff968

Reaction score
Interesting. My car has been in the rain many times. No water collection issues with the AAR produced hood. My hood is always down except at car shows and when I work on it.

Wanda73

Reaction score
I noticed the bowing after it was parked for a year while i was gone, at the time it had factory steel hood springs, and a noticeable bow when i returned. After that i found repop light springs and have always left it open, and now that bow is gone. As for the water, the inner structure on mine runs right along the rear grates, and that isn't sealed, so when it rains some enters the inner structure. Thats my only complaint. It is strong. I let some local HS cheerleaders borrow it for pictures, didn't think they would lay across the hood, luckily the ones that did were small enough to not damage anything. I don't think the factory T/A hood would have handled that very well, but I could be wrong.

GGeesey

Reaction score
^^^^^ So, is it a legitimate insurance claim to tell your agent you need a new hood because a teenage girl laid across it????
You just might make a "Farmers Insurance" commercial with that one!!! hahahahaaaahahahaa

Back