• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Alternate door panel coating

mayhem

Reaction score
To you 'numbers correct' guys, avert your eyes now. I have two sets of interior panels for a 72-74 Challenger, one in gold & one in black. The black set has been buggered up by the prior owner with some gloss black spray paint. The gold set is faded but useable with some scratches. I'm considering a 'custom' coating to fix all the ills of one set or the other. Is there some coating (other than paint) that can be used to cover the plastic kick panels, door panels and rear seat panels? I thought about something like flocking or ??? I really don't want to spring for new panels all the way around. Has anyone done something like this and, if so, how did it work out for you?

Adam

Reaction score
Oven cleaner, with lye, will safely remove paint from hard plastic. Try it in an inconspicuous area.

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
I will have to try the oven cleaner on a painted one.
I do know that a painted, chalky door panel is hard to selectively sand.
Getting rid of non stock paint will make accessing condition and sanding easier.
My thread on reconditioning door panels starts out rambling as I work through several options. Of course, I started with an extremely chalky example.
Looking back on it, fine sheetrock texture sandwiched between epoxy and sanded to flatten peaks is a viable option.
The epoxy non skid floor coating is expensive and I have not researched shipping cans of it.
Thread is due for an update.

hdwrench

Reaction score
i was actually thinking of a textured matt black paint , anybody every try that ? i have to change from green interior to black somehow…

Last edited:

Quadratic

Reaction score
Years ago (I can't find a single picture or internet link), somebody covered them in tweed.

mmissile

Reaction score
Vinyl coated dash, door panels, seat backs and kick-panels......

cuda interior 6-30-22   4.jpg
cuda interior seats rt-rear.jpg

mmissile

Reaction score
Just Dashes. Apply a large CC payment or check. I had this stuff done over 20 years ago [sat in storage]. I can't imagine the cost today.
Virtually nobody notices why my interior looks so much more finished.

Last edited:

cuda joe

Reaction score
I have used vinal spray paint from an auto paint store 25 years ago still looks good I scrubbed them with a brush and spray 9 rinsed with water then wiped them down with paint thinner and dusted on the vinal spray right away .it would be advisable to get off all that old paint first

cuda joe

Reaction score
forgot to mention i used a paint gun rattle cans won;t look good on large parts like door panels

ceedog

Reaction score
Well my 73 Cuda will get sheet aluminum because of the side bar would be over in my ribs to get around those arm rest protrusions. Also using the 73-74 inside a-body door handles in front of ‘panel’ either painted or vinyl.

Back