• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Alternator problems

mopar70

Reaction score
My car won't charge the battery anymore plus the gauge stop working. Also there's a problem with the distributor getting power sometimes the car will miss and backfire and then run fine.

moparleo

Reaction score
Check the wiring at the bulkhead. Any burnt ? melted ? Unplug and clean each connection. Recheck all connections under hood. Run a hot wire directly from the pos + at starter relay to batt connection on alternator. Set idle high and disconnect negative battery cable. If I still runs, the alt is working, if it dies, alt is bad or connection to alt is bad.

mopar70

Reaction score
Fixed the problem the connectors were grounding off the steering column and i taped it its all good. The engine guys an idiot caused so many problems for me he wired the ignition straight to the battery so when it would ground the car would miss.

mopar70

Reaction score
Nvm spoke to soon car still runs like **** this wiring stuff is driving me crazzy. When I turned it off it shot out so much coolant out of the side tank and it keep heating up so much. The engine is tuned and the radiator was cleaned out its a 3 core its got a shroud and a flex fan. Its got a 383 cubic inch motor and my 2 liter turbo seems faster then the way this car runs.

mopar440dad

Reaction score
I was having overheating problems on my 68 Satellite that I put a 440 in, I put a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator in and it cooled great. Also a very good value!!

mopar70

Reaction score
Pulled the gauges today and the dash is almost off because I need to replace it anyways. Putting in modern gauges that light up so I can actually see them. Looked at all the wiring and it seems to look good but I am still having big problems. I have a feeling that its to do with ignition there is a connector coming from the steering column. That connector is not grounding off the column anymore but i have to go through it again. My alt gauge now works but my battery still doesn't charge up. I put a volt meter on the coil, alternator and battery seems like it was jumping around not a constant number.

mopar70

Reaction score
Still can't figure out why the car sometimes gets a miss I'm going through the wiring right now. How do I check if the voltage regulator is good. Any good tilt steering columns that will bolt right up?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Nothing I am aware of bolts up , later B body [Cordoba] have been made to work Flaming River has a custom column , still not a bolt in though .
For $10 replace the reg , I doubt that would be causing a miss though , more likely to be the dist pick up or ECU

Back