• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Alternator upgrade

Fer_

Reaction score
20200316_182531.jpg

Fer_

Reaction score
Thats the 340 in my challenger..actually a 416..bore and stroked...

Robert Franke

Reaction score
I had a guy bring me a 69 440 car to restore he hvac system. While I had it o noticed the alt wasn't charging. I found a newer style alt installed with 1 wire on it. The alt. Was new. After testing I found a conversion article. Wish I could remember where..bottom line was the other field line not used in pic needed to have a ground wire. I had the alt tested. It was bad..orileys gave me a replacement..believe it was a 60a. Added a ground..working fine. Car had a factory guage and add on volt guage. Both showed normal ops 14v. I believe it had a updated cowl mounted electronic regulator. As far as wiring issues..I dont see any. The alt charges and maintains BATTERY ..everything comes from battery. Wiring is sized by amp load on that circut..load doesn't change by installing a alternator...if your adding high load components you should ALWAYS add relays from the Battery and fuse protection. Hope this helps. PS..my 71. Also has this setup on it.

20191123_171509.jpg

Fer_

Reaction score
I had a guy bring me a 69 440 car to restore he hvac system. While I had it o noticed the alt wasn't charging. I found a newer style alt installed with 1 wire on it. The alt. Was new. After testing I found a conversion article. Wish I could remember where..bottom line was the other field line not used in pic needed to have a ground wire. I had the alt tested. It was bad..orileys gave me a replacement..believe it was a 60a. Added a ground..working fine. Car had a factory guage and add on volt guage. Both showed normal ops 14v. I believe it had a updated cowl mounted electronic regulator. As far as wiring issues..I dont see any. The alt charges and maintains BATTERY ..everything comes from battery. Wiring is sized by amp load on that circut..load doesn't change by installing a alternator...if your adding high load components you should ALWAYS add relays from the Battery and fuse protection. Hope this helps. PS..my 71. Also has this setup on it.

View attachment 69331
Thanks a lot.adding the new alternator from tuff stuff tomorrow.I will post how it turns out thanks again

Back