• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Any advise on my 70 Cuda rear leaf spring replacement ?

moparfever

Reaction score
I am going to replace my 70 Cuda rear leaf springs with Espo leaf springs I bought. After 50 years the leaf springs are not up to where stock height should be .
So my question is how did you do your leaf spring replacement ?
Any advise would be great.

SFEbody

Reaction score
BTW- My preference are the Hotchkis rear leafs, I like how they are made and the science behind them.

Using Jack stands:
1-raise the tires off ground and remove the u-bolts,
2-then place a floor jack under the rear end to take the weight off the leafs.
3- Remove the rear shackle bolt and bushings and lower that end to the ground,
4- Remove the 4 front perch nuts and then Reverse the process. for install

moparleo

Reaction score
Just an FYI for the new E-body owners...The rear was low when it was new. Look at some old advertising pictures from back then. Not current pictures of "restored" cars.
The E-body rear springs were designed to be almost flat, with no arch from the factory for safe handling purposes. The springs are slightly splayed and the rear would "steer" through the corners. Fact.

Bigblue73

Reaction score
I went with Eaton +2's to level my car out in the back. The installation process is pretty straight forward but remember to replace the shackles and u-bolts at the time of re-installation. I used Hotchkis rear spring hangers (nice pieces) and new AR engineering front spring hangers from Mancini Racing. Take your time and it will go smoothly. I went with fox adjustable shocks and the ride is now night and day different from before.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Just remember that the factory torque is only a 45 foot pounds on the U bolts. Kim

Back