• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone ever hear of an Oldsmobile Hemi!

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Wow! "Insanely rare" almost seems like an understatement.
It seems like "most" corporate experimentals got destroyed.
The combustion chamber almost looks like more of a "pent-roof" than a hemi.
VERY cool! 😎
That is a pent roof. The only 4 valve (true) hemi design I ever heard was Honda’s attempt with a 4 cyl. Twice the expense at very little gain. I believe they even went 5 valve for some very high RPM R&D. But never heard anything close to production?

rikkitik

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Honda's efforts on a hemi, I'm going to see if I can find anything on it. Honda has done some crazy stuff. I do know of Honda's 20,000rpm, 8 valve, oval piston(!!) NR500/NR750.
I'm pretty sure Yamaha, as well as Ferrari, and several others have used 5 valve designs. Yamaha, I know, used a pent roof.
I had a 5 valve R1, I really disliked the 5 valve because of it. With the extra intake valve, located low in the combustion chamber, just not enough ptv clearance to move the intake cam timing and pick up the midrange power. The peak power was nothing special either. The 3 intake flow paths seemed to create turbulence.

Last edited:

rikkitik

Reaction score
Rikkitik, performance wise, with 6k rpm factory engine it is definitely note worthy as you say, but look wise or styling, (just my humble opinion my friend) still similar to the cars of the era, no?
I mean, look at those tomahawks, dam......
There wasn't anything on the roads like that, was there?
View attachment 81933
Just in case you're interested, the June edition of the Hagerty Insurance monthly magazine, has an article on the '66 Toronado. 😎👍

George Glass

Reaction score
Pontiac had a 427 Hemi experimental motor also

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 117

budascuda

Reaction score
Did anybody other than Chrysler manage to mass produce their Hemi engines?

Back