• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

beauty rings

michael bucklew

Reaction score
does anyone know a way to polish the beauty rings on the rims-----Michael 71 challenger

Ele115

Reaction score
I have a variable speed bench grinder on a pedestal that has two white cloth polishing wheels. I can get the trim ring all the way around the polishing wheel easily, but you really only need to get about halfway around it to buff a section at a time. I do the whole trim ring with black compound, then do it again once or twice with white compound on the other side of the bench grinder. Periodically wipe the compound off with rubbing alcohol and clean the polishing wheel. The good OEM stainless rings from the 70's and early 80's really come out super nice. It won't take long to do them on a good buffer with a cloth wheel, preferably two.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
I have a variable speed bench grinder on a pedestal that has two white cloth polishing wheels. I can get the trim ring all the way around the polishing wheel easily, but you really only need to get about halfway around it to buff a section at a time. I do the whole trim ring with black compound, then do it again once or twice with white compound on the other side of the bench grinder. Periodically wipe the compound off with rubbing alcohol and clean the polishing wheel. The good OEM stainless rings from the 70's and early 80's really come out super nice. It won't take long to do them on a good buffer with a cloth wheel, preferably two.
thanks

Ele115

Reaction score
If you don't want to use a bench grinder, and there are reasons that could make this a less than ideal setup, you could mount the ring into an old wheel (with the vale stem missing) and polish the rings with an air drill and a cloth polishing wheel chucked into it. Adjust air pressure to adjust RPM. The old wheel is the best way to hold the ring while you polish it.

Back