• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bench-Bucket Front Seat Mount Differences?

Bruce chl70

Reaction score
My 1970 Challenger has the rare bench-bucket front seat. The seat back left side bar support cracked and also the driver's side seat bottom springs have broken, so it needs welding and major repair (I guess that is what happens after 380,000 plus miles!). I need to find a different seat to put in the car while the I repair the original one. Are the seat mounts different than the cars that had the individual bucket seats? Do I have to get a bench seat from a B body to fit without drilling more holes? Or could I use just the driver's side bucket seat from another E or B body?
I also don't want to spend a lot of money on a temporary seat. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your ideas,
Bruce

challenger6pak

Reaction score
For a temporary seat I would use a bucket seat. A 71-74 Charger, Satellite bench seat may interchange with no problem due to the sharing of the front floor pan with the Challenger. Older B's use a different floor pan and I have no idea how they would fit. If you just want a seat to move the car around, I would use a bucket seat. It seems the easiest way to go.

Bruce chl70

Reaction score
For a temporary seat I would use a bucket seat. A 71-74 Charger, Satellite bench seat may interchange with no problem due to the sharing of the front floor pan with the Challenger. Older B's use a different floor pan and I have no idea how they would fit. If you just want a seat to move the car around, I would use a bucket seat. It seems the easiest way to go.

Thanks challenger6pak, that's what I kind of guessed. When I looked under the seat i found two grommet-plugs where I think the inside track-rail of the bucket seat would mount. The only other problem is that in The Tampa Bay area none of the salvage yards have any old mopar parts! So I might have a difficult time finding a used bucket or bench seat. And shiping something that big is probably expensive.

Thanks again for the info,
Bruce

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I was not sure the inner holes were drilled , there is usually a support plate around the holes too , I know the outer holes line up for buckets .

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I'm in West Palm Beach. You have more stuff where you are than we do here. You should be able to find a seat without much trouble. Shipping is not too bad if you have the shipper unbolt the back from the bottom of the seat. This way the seat can be shipped flat.

The inner holes were not drilled on a bench seat car. If they are drilled, the car has had buckets at one time. If it has four reinforcments (support plates) per seat, it is most likely a bucket seat car.

Last edited:
Back