• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best aftermarket Hemi heads?

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
So I'm building a stroked 426 Hemi (528ish) with 11-1 comp and looking for around 700 hp. I've been looking at my options for heads and so far I'm leaning towards the Stage V heads but I would like some feedback from some guys who have experience with any aluminum head that will work on my engine. The car will be driven on the street and ran down the 1/4 mile. I haven't picked an intake manifold or cam yet either. Thanks for any help!

IMG_6357.jpg

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
My 528" Hemi has Mopar Performance (Edelbrock) castings. Pump gas street car and strip. It makes alot more than 700 on motor alone without the use of both kits. Nothing wrong with Stage V heads either.

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg

rsz_20151008_074929.jpg

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
My 528" Hemi has Mopar Performance (Edelbrock) castings. Pump gas street car and strip. It makes alot more than 700 on motor alone without the use of both kits. Nothing wrong with Stage V heads either.

View attachment 101822

View attachment 101823

View attachment 101824

View attachment 101825
I was hoping you'd respond! So what kind of rocker setup is that? I'm coming from a 340 so the Hemi gives me a new adventure to learn about. Man I wish I was closer as I'd love to look at your car and pick your brain as you've traveled this road already!

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
The Rockers are Ray Barton's rocker system. My car was originally an A66 340 car also. I am not a numbers matching guru, so I built it my way.

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
That engine is a work of mechanical art! I like the way you have the alternator down and out of the way. Is that a kit or something you fab'ed up? Also I can't see but what do you use for a balancer? I'm putting together a whole new rotating assembly since my engine has stock guts. Would you mind sharing your rotating assembly combo with me? Maybe pm if you want to keep it off the board? I'm looking for a good solid starting point as my motor is going to my long time motor builder in 1-2 weeks. He's the engine builder/tuner on a local top fuel car that does the local NHRA nationals when they come to town. Both him and the driver have been doing this stuff since the 60s and he's getting ready to retire so this might be the last motor he does for me and I want it to be special as he machined and built my first 340 in 1985 among a few others over the years. I'm going to actually build it with him overseeing me at his shop so I am super pumped at the whole thing. He's very good buddies with Jerry Ruth so when they get together the stories get awful entertaining. I can't wait to get started.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
That engine is a work of mechanical art! I like the way you have the alternator down and out of the way. Is that a kit or something you fab'ed up? Also I can't see but what do you use for a balancer? I'm putting together a whole new rotating assembly since my engine has stock guts. Would you mind sharing your rotating assembly combo with me? Maybe pm if you want to keep it off the board? I'm looking for a good solid starting point as my motor is going to my long time motor builder in 1-2 weeks. He's the engine builder/tuner on a local top fuel car that does the local NHRA nationals when they come to town. Both him and the driver have been doing this stuff since the 60s and he's getting ready to retire so this might be the last motor he does for me and I want it to be special as he machined and built my first 340 in 1985 among a few others over the years. I'm going to actually build it with him overseeing me at his shop so I am super pumped at the whole thing. He's very good buddies with Jerry Ruth so when they get together the stories get awful entertaining. I can't wait to get started.
Thank you. My rotating assembly is a Molnar 8 bolt 4.150 with 2.200 BBC journals and Molnar 7.100 rods. It is an ATI damper with a six bolt Chrysler hub. Looking back on it not, I should have gone it with a Big Block Chevy bolt pattern hub. I fabbed up most of all of my front dress since not alot is made for Mopar. The BBC bolt pattern hub would have made it easier for BBC drive mandrels and pulley kits much easier.

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
Thank you. My rotating assembly is a Molnar 8 bolt 4.150 with 2.200 BBC journals and Molnar 7.100 rods. It is an ATI damper with a six bolt Chrysler hub. Looking back on it not, I should have gone it with a Big Block Chevy bolt pattern hub. I fabbed up most of all of my front dress since not alot is made for Mopar. The BBC bolt pattern hub would have made it easier for BBC drive mandrels and pulley kits much easier.
Thanks for the info. You have some nice stuff in there. Something to be said about hind sight. Thanks for sharing!

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
Well I ordered a KB alum block and Stage V heads from Tim at FHO so now the fun begins. I have decided to keep my stockish motor and look for another car to put it in after I finish my Challenger. At this rate I'll be working OT until I retire...

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
Would mind sharing what you have for trans and rear gear. I have a S-60 with 3.7 but no trans or convertor yet.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have a 727 with a transbrake. With all good Coan internals and an SFI bellhousing. Rear end is a 1 ton Dodge truck Dana 60 axle that we cut down, narrowed, added car housing ends with all Strange components, 40 spline l.w. spool, 4:10 Pro Gear, 40 spline gun drilled l.w. spider flanged axles, aluminum girdle cover and pro stock anti-roll bar still on leafs. Split mono leafs and Caltracs.

100_1704.JPG

100_1716.JPG

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
I have a 727 with a transbrake. With all good Coan internals and an SFI bellhousing. Rear end is a 1 ton Dodge truck Dana 60 axle that we cut down, narrowed, added car housing ends with all Strange components, 40 spline l.w. spool, 4:10 Pro Gear, 40 spline gun drilled l.w. spider flanged axles, aluminum girdle cover and pro stock anti-roll bar still on leafs. Split mono leafs and Caltracs.

View attachment 103213

View attachment 103214
You're mini tubbed, correct? If so did you use a kit? How wide did your rear end up being? I have a USCT mini tub kit and still need to narrow my rear end. Body shop called yeaterday and they are supposed to put my quarter skins back on so I should be starting next week on the mini tub part of my chassis work. Been cleaning out my shop trying to make room for my project. It's amazing how much crap I accumulated over the years so off to the swap meet in a couple of months with everything. Again thanks for your input!

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Yes, mini tubbed. That's kind of personal how wide my rear is..... I don't remember now how wide it was. It's been many years since done.

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
Yes, mini tubbed. That's kind of personal how wide my rear is..... I don't remember now how wide it was. It's been many years since done.
Ha ha that is kinda a personal thing. I have MT 315/60/15 ET SR and curious about clearance. I have a pro guy that will be narrowing the rear end for me so we will be able to get it right. How close is your tire on clearance?

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
It's a tight fit. About a 3/8" width on the inside. 1/4-3/16" on the outside wheel lips.

20210810_200920.jpg

20210810_200902.jpg

20190531_204436.jpg

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score

View attachment 101822

View attachment 101823

View attachment 101824

View attachment 101825
Do you mind sharing what you use for a water pump or recommend anything in particular for a street driven/1/4 mile, large cube/high horse hemi with a big radiator and dual fans? I picked up the Aeromotive fuel pump you mentioned and now gotta order up some fuel lines for it? Any recommendations on this area? Still haven't picked carbs yet but I talked with the Tim at FHO today and he recommended dual 850s so now that search begins. Got the car back from the body shop yesterday with the new quarter skins, upper deck, rear valance and rear bumper fitted. Gonna start the chassis work in the day or two. It's finally starting to ramp up a bit.

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score

View attachment 103213

View attachment 103214
Hello, I have a quick question for you. Is your shock crossmember a homemade job or is it something I can buy ready to weld in? Thanks again. This project is dragging along but it is still moving (a lot slower than I wished). Take care.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Hello, I have a quick question for you. Is your shock crossmember a homemade job or is it something I can buy ready to weld in? Thanks again. This project is dragging along but it is still moving (a lot slower than I wished). Take care.
It's a home made piece. It serves 3 purposes. 1) It is an upper shock mount. 2) My rear speaker tray down bars tie into it from the cage. 3) The Anti-roll bar ties into it.

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
It's a home made piece. It serves 3 purposes. 1) It is an upper shock mount. 2) My rear speaker tray down bars tie into it from the cage. 3) The Anti-roll bar ties into it.
Right on and thanks once again for the info. Do you use the roll bar much and if so where at mostly? I'm trying to figure that part of my equation out and I don't know if it's something that I'll need. I come with a circle track background and everything had bars so I'm trying to figure a rear bar's place/function on a 1/4 mile car.

Back