• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

best way to remove paint from trim

plumgtx

Reaction score
what is the best way to remove paint from the trim. does soda blasting hurt the grain on the trim or is that the best way? also thought there could be some product like a paint thinner that may work. what do you use???

Adam

Reaction score
what is the best way to remove paint from the trim. does soda blasting hurt the grain on the trim or is that the best way? also thought there could be some product like a paint thinner that may work. what do you use???

There are a couple of ways depending on what you are stripping and what you have available... For Stainless exterior trim that is off the car you could use paint remover without any side effects.. I would not blast it.. Try wiping it with acetone, or spray carb cleaner on it. I use carb cleaner to clean my spray guns, works great.

For interior trim, like the metal pieces around the rear windows you can blast or strip conventionally; however for painted plastic pieces you can use a lye based drain opener, or lye granules dissolved in water, and let it soak. The lye will not hurt the plastic and will remove the paint in a day or so. Some guys have also used Brake fluid to remove paint (it works when you spill it) but I have not tried this.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
On interior trim, try to stay away from anything abrasive. You will lose the grain.

mmissile

Reaction score
Lots of interior trim has the graining stamped into it. A shop local to this area, does that to dies/molds with acid etching.

js29

Reaction score
i am doing my interior moldings right now, do not blast them because you will lose the grain effect. i used paint stripper, there were 3 colors on mine. the original finish was the hardest to remove. i used lacquer thinner with a red scothbright to finish removing that. came out well. then a light coat of etch primer, then trim black. (black interior) and all went well.

plumgtx

Reaction score
thanks guys and yes i am referring to interior trim pieces that have textured/grain feel. I will try the paint stripper first as i was afraid any abrasive would make it too smooth. but i thought soda blasting may work. thanks again

Adam

Reaction score
thanks guys and yes i am referring to interior trim pieces that have textured/grain feel. I will try the paint stripper first as i was afraid any abrasive would make it too smooth. but i thought soda blasting may work. thanks again

You will be ok with blasting the metal trim, not plastic (ex: A-pillar pieces, seat backs, etc). I sand-blasted my window trim with low pressure and fine sand (60 grit).. most sand I get around here is 30 grit which is too rough on detailed pieces, but it rips the rust right off suspension pieces.

Anyway, here are some pics of my sandblasted & painted metal trim. Click on the pic for a larger view. Also it would be very easy to cover the grain with too much paint. I recommend no primer. Trim before.jpgTrim after.jpg

Trim before.jpg

Trim after.jpg

Last edited:

B5BLUERT

Reaction score
I bead blasted my metal interior window trim. The trim turned out great,no harm to the grain, I used sem paint.IMG_20150724_114150_883 (2).jpg

IMG_20150724_114150_883 (2).jpg

js29

Reaction score
when u say bead blast are you referring to glass beads? sem makes some of the best products on the market! BTW those look fantastic.

B5BLUERT

Reaction score
when u say bead blast are you referring to glass beads? sem makes some of the best products on the market! BTW those look fantastic.
I blasted mine at work in our bead blast cabinet, we have used a silica sand based media and a glass based media that we order from Grainger ,nothing to aggressive. I'm on vacation or i could tell you exactly what we use, I can let you know on Monday if you really need to know. I would think most types of fine media in a blast cabinet would work fine on the metal window trim.

Last edited:

plumgtx

Reaction score
that helps alot and thanks for the pics also guys. that answered all my questions

js29

Reaction score
I had some rust on my side moldings, went to a friends place who has a cabinet with glass beads. turned down the presser and that not only took care of the rust but i was able to clean the crevasses in the grain. i tested an area that would not be seen first and they look grate.

Back