• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bewildered with Tune up

SRKlegin

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Having some weird issues with a simple tune-up on my 72 Plymouth Barracuda / 318-A904 Auto Trans:

Friday
1. Changed Cap Has a weird black tab on top for some odd reason. Doesn't conflict with wire caps though. (Standard Company)
2. Changed Rotor Button (Standard Company)
3. Changed Coil/condenser (Standard Company)
4. Changed Voltage Regulator (Classic Industries) (Resin was completely drooling down and affixed to firewall).
5. Changed Spark Plug Wires (Standard Company 7 MM)
6. Changed Plugs (Autolite P/N 66 Copper)
7. Changed Electronic Ignition (Resin was completely melted away to bare circuitry board).

Problems in Process:
1. During coil change The negative wire was brittle and snapped at the base of the coupling where there was thick hard rubber end.
-- Fix: I cut and splice a new connector without the block and use heat shrink sleeve.

Saturday:
Finished plug installation along with boots spark plug boots.
1. Fired her up and noticed a vast improvement in idle and performance. Happy face time.

Sunday:
Tried to start her up...bit difficult. extremely rough idle.
Messed around with carb a bit...idle etc...
Started to smooth out a bit but was over 700 idle RPM.
Shut her down.

Monday:
Started her up and looked at timing...wasn't getting any kind of measureable reading...was bouncing all over timing marks...thinking it is the timing chain.

Today: No Start...No spark whatsoever...HELP Thing has a mind of it's own

SRKlegin
1972 Plymouth Barracuda
5.2L 318LA / Electronic Ignition
A904 Auto Transmission

SRKlegin

Reaction score
Why did you replace so many parts ? Was there an issue with t running bad before or after your "simple tune0up?"
Because the previous owner didn't take care of it. Plugs were rusty on exterior...cap was worn at contacts, coil terminals were horrendously corroded. So long story short, everything I did was good except for the following which was fixed and she's running like a top. Positive cable on the coil had a burn-through. Fixed. spark plug wires were taken back and exchanged for high temp jackets. Three of the wires failed continuity. Thanks for letting me vent. 100 degree heat doesn't help. Clouds decision-making.

rklein71

Reaction score
Make sure the ignition box is grounded and ensure their is a good ground from the engine block to the chassis. Electronic ignition has to have good grounds to work properly.

SRKlegin

Reaction score
Thanks for your guidance, guys. The distributor is 50-years old.

moparleo

Reaction score
I would suggest establishing true TDC using a piston stop. This will do a couple of things.
It will show you how loose the timing chain is. And what true TDC is So you can set proper timing and if the balancer ring has slipped or not.

Back