• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Borgenson power steering conversion. Who has it?

rrbbkk

Reaction score
I've heard only good things and I see the price has dropped on the E-Body version. I have a '74 Challenger with a 318. I'd love to tighten up the steering. I would have the unit installed professionally. Is there anything to look out for? Any tips you can give this novice? Thank you!

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have had it in a 71 Cuda for several years and it is worth the money, you'll be glad you did it. It steers like a new car.

Dustu

Reaction score
Me and a friend has a cuda I am working on and are thinking about getting a Borgeson at this moment . All i have heard was really good reviews. You may not have to buy the whole kit I was TOLD by Borgeson if you have the right P.S. pump .Sector ,their hoses ,fitting. and joint . Save some $$

Drivun

Reaction score
Great conversion. Smaller /lighter box. Modern car feel and turn ratio. Avoid using fast arm as it causes ratio to be too much for power steering pump at parking speeds and twisty roads.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Steve/Drivun says: "Avoid using fast arm as it causes ratio to be too much for power steering pump at parking speeds and twisty roads."

Question... Have you actually installed the longer pitman arm (and longer idler arm) with the Borgenson PS box? If yes, which PS pump did you use? Saginaw (preferred) of other (Federals are no good).

I have interest in the Borgenson ps box... but to additionally use longer arms for a faster steering... intended for autocross racing.

Drivun

Reaction score
Mitch as I posted on the other Borgeson threads replying to you, I had a Federal and changed to Saginaw when the federal failed. It was your post that alerted tome to federal limits. However maneuvering boregeson with fast arms at parking speeds and autox turns was like having failed power steering…harder than manual.
Thinking it thru on a top line basis without doing a bunch of math, fast arms drop stock 16 ratio about 4 pts to 12. On a 14 Borgeson it drops to something like 10. Maybe ok for you but not my cup of tea.

Dustu

Reaction score
I am installing a borgeson kit on my friends 71' Cuda as we speak and also bought one for my 71' scamp not installed yet ,will use factory pump on the Scamp

Cratos

Reaction score
what size are the mounting holes? on the borg unit? factory one on my 70 Challenger are .550

Cratos

Reaction score
be sure to check the shaft size before you start. mine was boxed wrong. Weighting on correct one now.

KDdog

Reaction score
be sure to check the shaft size before you start. mine was boxed wrong. Weighting on correct one now.
Did you also buy the adapter? Or is that specifically for the steering column?

Dustu

Reaction score
Definitely need the steering shaft joint adapter, They say if you use a different one other than theirs
you might vibration though the steering wheel ,it has a rubber dampener inside it . Check your steering sector shaft size at the pittman arm.

KDdog

Reaction score
Definitely need the steering shaft joint adapter, They say if you use a different one other than theirs
you might vibration though the steering wheel ,it has a rubber dampener inside it . Check your steering sector shaft size at the pittman arm.
Thanks for the info!

Cratos

Reaction score
sector shaft size for the pitman arm. box part # was correct for 1-1/8 but it had a 1-1/4 so I am stuck in till the right one gets here.

rikkitik

Reaction score
I just did mine about a month ago, (along with a complete suspension upgrade), I used Bergman's kit.
It was really an easy swap, with excellent results.
I would say that, too me, it feels like it's too much "boost". From perusing the web, other's have felt the same. But, there's a relatively easy fix to lower the pump pressure. All you need to do is shim the pressure regulating piston.
It is my understanding that the "std." V8 Saginaw pump puts out 1200-1400psi. The Borgeson seems to have better feel if lowered to it's "design pressure", in 800-900psi range.
I'll be doing this mod in the not too distant future. But, as is, the Bergman/Borgeson is still a huge improvement over stock, or FirmFeel.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I just bought the Borgeson kit from Peter Bergman as well for my 71 Barracuda. Peter has created a kit that makes it very easy to install assuming you have a Saginaw pump and keeps your steering column stock which means no hacking and welding. Save your self some hassle and get the kit from Bergman.

Dustu

Reaction score
I got the Borgeson kit installed a while back on the 71' Cuda for a friend , it went well ,only thing it came with a new pump bracket but would not line up with the aftermarket pulleys but the factory one did good . Have drove the car a little bit 7 miles maybe ,it is like a different car now . Real firm feel ,no play in the center . Handles nice . Good up grade for sure . I have one to install on my 71' Scamp later , and did not buy the whole kit for the scamp as I have a slightly used Saginaw pump to use in place of the orig. one that came on the car ,did get every thing else from Borgeson to use ,they said that pump will work fine .

rikkitik

Reaction score
After installing the Bergman kit, and running it a while (plus my other suspension upgrades), I ordered Peter's pump shim kit.
With the original pump pressure, it felt somewhat over boosted. Peter's kit isn't expensive, and is any easy install. I set mine up with 4 shims, lowering the pressure, and am VERY happy with the feel now. Peter is a great guy to work with.

SFEbody

Reaction score
I have it on my restomod. Can't say enough how different for the better it feels when driving. I used the Holley PS pump for the Gen 3 Hemi. It all works great and looks amazing as well. And, looks really good also.:)

6F2EDA6A-FE79-4E03-AF83-EF0E5A6FA1E5.jpeg

Back