• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bought a 72 Challenger, turns out it's a 73!

cudatt

Reaction score
As the title says, CA DMV shows it as a 72. I didn't know how to decode the vin and didn't notice it said 73 model year on the pass side emission label. Previous owner didn't know, I'm not blaming him. I discovered it when the seat covers for a 72 were very different. Took the seat back covers off and it was solid foam with no springs.
I guess I will have to go through it with the DMV. Does anyone have any front seat covers in black for a 73? I now have a brand new set of 72 front PUI covers I waited 3 months for!
What is the value difference between the 72 and 73?

cudatt

Reaction score
There is a 3 in that spot. It is a factory 318, AC, Rallye dash, rear sway bar.
There are no fender tags, but I do have an incomplete build sheet.

70chall440

Reaction score
Well if there is a 3 then it is a 73. I is not unheard of to have a car mistitled either by year or even the wrong letters/numbers in the VIN (I've see G 318 cars listed as C /6 cars).

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Most likely the DMV will require a vin inspection. The CHP officer who does the inspection may know nothing about old Mopars, so bring all your documentation and be ready to point out the secondary vins to him/her. You will need an appointment.

I did this with my 1948 Power Wagon, the title said 1951 but was wrong. It was not a big deal to get it corrected, but the officer will have to write up a document that you take to the DMV. The DMV may be resistant to changing anything (lazy) so have the CHP officer’s phone number; he should be known to them if the are both local offices. Good luck.

cudatt

Reaction score
Most likely the DMV will require a vin inspection. The CHP officer who does the inspection may know nothing about old Mopars, so bring all your documentation and be ready to point out the secondary vins to him/her. You will need an appointment.

I did this with my 1948 Power Wagon, the title said 1951 but was wrong. It was not a big deal to get it corrected, but the officer will have to write up a document that you take to the DMV. The DMV may be resistant to changing anything (lazy) so have the CHP officer’s phone number; he should be known to them if the are both local offices. Good luck.
Thank you, need to phone them!

moparleo

Reaction score
If the title has the correct VIN that is on the car, why worry ? Nothing to do with legality, value, insurance, tag fee...
Just another "Mopar" that has a difference. Something to win bar bets with.

cudatt

Reaction score
If the title has the correct VIN that is on the car, why worry ? Nothing to do with legality, value, insurance, tag fee...
Just another "Mopar" that has a difference. Something to win bar bets with.
True, the title and the reg have the correct vin, just says 72 instead of 73. Maybe let sleeping dogs lay.
The biggest problem was the seat covers, Dante has helped me out there, he had a set of 73 covers!

rklein71

Reaction score
My 69 383-S had the title VIN as a BH26H. 26 was not even an option for a model. It was an easy process to get it fixed to BH29H by filling out the paperwork and the sheriff came over to verify. Rod

volunteer

Reaction score
If a car was 'built' on July 31st. of 1972, it will (should) be registered as a '72 model. If it was 'built' on August 1st. of 1972, it (should) be registered as a '73 model. Note that beginning with 1973, the front and rear bumpers were reinforced and had the larger bumperettes - - easy to notice for any E-body junkie.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Back in the late 1980s I purchased a 1969 Road Runner convertible. The car was a '69 model year car, and the VIN showed it as a '69. But on the title it was listed as 1968. It was a very early '69 Road Runner so as volunteer stated above, if your car was an 'early built' 1973 car the DMV might have titled it as a 1972. I wouldn't worry about it.

Adam

Reaction score
It isn’t a problem, until it is... maybe if you ever go to sell the car the buyer could be overly concerned...

70chall440

Reaction score
I think the main problem would be convincing a potential buyer why it is this way. A savvy buyer might think it was a rebody.

Back