• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

build date ???

reborn73

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to find/figure out the build date of a '73 Chally? The build sheet is long gone.

Thanks,

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You might be able to find one close to yours but not an exact date. I know Cuda Hunter is always asking about tags for the record. Maybe he could help you.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I think he is a Cuda info sponge (Cuda hunter) so maybe he could help you out. Does the car have its original engine and/or trans? If so some dates can be had off those. In previous years they were stamping the date that the drivetrain was installed in the chassis on the front center of the engine crossmember right below the crank pulley, facing the front of the car.

reborn73

Reaction score
It is a complete numbers matching and the fender tag it there. But I don't know how to decode it.

DSC_2142.jpg

DSC_2142.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don't have my code books with me but isn't the date code 207 or feb. 07?
how about some more pics???

72Cuda340

Reaction score
Build date is on the drivers door jam sticker... also stamped into the block at the front of the motor to the right of the water pump. Sometimes hard or impossible to read, under the paint but it's there. Should show you, in this order... Engine assembly plant, model year, engine size, (340), then probably "P" for premium, then 4 digit engine assembly date in a nice 10,000 day calender format, then the number of the engine on the line that day, mine is also a 4 digit number. If the engine is original and has the partial vin down low on the block on the side this sequence should tell you everything you need... at least it did on my 72 Cuda 340. Good luck. BTW... Nice Challenger!

I added a pic of my 340 while it was out and being redone... the area on the right where the paint was scraped away is where the numbers are stamped. Hopefully yours are there without having to remove the paint. Mine is all re-painted and back now so I can't see them again :)

IMG_1970.jpg

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I'm guessing he just read the wrong line. C for Dec and 16 for the day.

reborn73

Reaction score
cudas rule,

Yes Sir, that is the car. With your help, I am getting it as back to original as I can. Thanks again !!
And thanks for all the help from all the other members.

Here is the #'s matching numbers engine.......DSC_2306.jpg

DSC_2306.jpg

Back