• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bumper Jack and Tire iron

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I have what I assume are the original bumper Jack and tire iron that came with my 1970 Barracuda (bought in 1982). The Jack is gray and the tire iron is black. Online I’ve seen both black and gray jacks, but only black tire irons. My Jack is gray and the tire iron black.

I am restoring them, but before I paint them, does anyone know if a gray Jack would have come with a black tire iron?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_5259.jpeg

Steve340

Reaction score
Your jack has a date code stamped on the rivet you can check if you want to.
I am not an expert but I have only notice black tire irons.

pschlosser

Reaction score
The base, removable hook and ratchet mechanism are all grey, the tire iron is black, and the shaft and hold down spring are zinc coated.

NixDad

Reaction score
When i've restored them the T-Shaft got painted with Silver or Aluminum paint and the hook and mechanism i painted with 'Dove Grey'.
Paint the mechanism first, and then it's easier to paint the shaft without overspray.

A friend picked up what he was sure was a 70 Cuda Jack assembly for me...now I own a 70 A-Body assembly!!! Ugh!

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Got it done. Thank you so much for the help! I also had to weld the loop into the trunk floor that was lost during the restoration in 1998.

8FF162A6-1ACF-4330-8AAB-E4BF3BCFEF76.jpeg

A776D72C-8346-49BF-B545-FE1F348DA3E7.jpeg

9D25664F-8EA3-4212-A6C2-8945E7C68E62.jpeg

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I see a lot of cars with the lug wrench slid through the spring's closed loop versus using the spring's closed loop to permanent attach the spring to the jack's operating mechanism. The jack instructions decal shows it with the spring's open end hooked on the lug wrench.
What is the consensus on how this was done from the factory? Hit or miss on which way it was installed?

1693236511712.png

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I see a lot of cars with the lug wrench slid through the spring's closed loop versus using the spring's closed loop to permanent attach the spring to the jack's operating mechanism. The jack instructions decal shows it with the spring's open end hooked on the lug wrench.
What is the consensus on how this was done from the factory? Hit or miss on which way it was installed?

View attachment 111487
I have no idea since the car was 12 years old when I bought it and everything was just thrown into the trunk, so I just did what was in the instructions. Though, if it went through the ring, the iron would probably bounce around because nothing would be holding it.

Last edited:
Back