• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cam Selection

DStan

Reaction score
I recently spun a few bearing in my 440. I picked up most of a used 383 from a guy about a month ago and I'm now purchasing all the parts to put it together. The bottom end is all together, looks good, and turns over smoothly. I am about to purchase a cam to put in it and I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys since this is my first car and I don't know everything about cams.
Here are the specs and the cams that I am considering right now.
Vehicle: 1989 D100 Will see maybe 1000 miles a year as it's mainly a toy
Block: 1968 383 bored 30 over
Pistons: Flat top @ zero deck NO valve relifs
Head Gaskets: Steel .020 crush
Heads:1968 250 casting code. Have 2.14/1.81 valves installed and are not shaved.Will be home ported
Intake: Torker 383 with gasket match porting
Carb: Holley 4160 750cfm Vacuum secondary
Gearing: 3.55 posi 9.25"
Stall: 3000 B&M Holeshot in a 727
Weight: About 3800 with me in it
I plan to rev it no higher than 6000
I need something that will give me good power, but not have too large a lift at 50 and cause a piston to strike a valve.
I'll attach the ones I am currently looking at.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Cam_Options.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid MI. My suggestion is to talk to the cam mfgrs. that you have already listed as that is their business. You have already picked a few cams and you have done a good job in listing all of your vehicle specs. Oh, and how about posting up some pics of your D100.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT. I definitely agree with moparlee - the manufacturer's have the knowledge of what will work best for your application and parts being used. A good engine builder can also be a good resource to ask the same questions...

Oh, and how about posting up some pics of your D100.

Ya, what he said!

DStan

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid MI. My suggestion is to talk to the cam mfgrs. that you have already listed as that is their business. You have already picked a few cams and you have done a good job in listing all of your vehicle specs. Oh, and how about posting up some pics of your D100.

I emailed that info to every cam manufacturer I could think of three weeks ago now and have received only a response from Howard's, who suggested the first one of their cams that I have listed above. Comp also replied and asked if it was a mopar or chevy (even though I told them it was in a dodge) and never responded again after I said it was a mopar. I'll try calling a few of them when I get the chance.

Here's a picture of the truck and the 440's oil pan after the incident.

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_20171127_230111_997.jpg

DStan

Reaction score
Cool truck, I like the black accents! That is a lot of metal in that oil pan.

Thanks. It managed to blow a head gasket and spin at least 3 rod bearing (I could rattle 3 with my hands). I haven't torn it down to find out what else broke.

Wanda73

Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! What were you running in the 440 and what did you think of it? Also, how much lift can the heads take before they get into guides? I'm only asking as I have been surprised by how tall the guides are in some heads, and if it's apart pulling a couple springs to check clearance is cheap insurance.

DStan

Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! What were you running in the 440 and what did you think of it? Also, how much lift can the heads take before they get into guides? I'm only asking as I have been surprised by how tall the guides are in some heads, and if it's apart pulling a couple springs to check clearance is cheap insurance.

The 440 was great for how low of compression it was running (about 8:1). It had stock 452 heads the pistons sat .062 in the hole and the cam was a 501 lift comp stick. An edelbrock performer 440 intake and the same Holley 750. It would burn the tires from a roll at 25, but the top end wasn't much.

I called Hughes earlier today and they suggested I run their part number SEH2832BL-10. This is one of the ones I was looking at anyhow so I will probably get that and take their advice and run a slightly thicker head gasket.

Wanda73

Reaction score
that sounds like a good idea. Unless my math sucks, and I'm tired so it might, I calculate you at 12.4:1 static with a .020 crush. That's not pump fuel territory, so a larger gasket to drop static, and a longer duration to drop your dynamic compression is a good idea unless your wanting to pay for 110 octane. That could be a great piece if you wanted to run ethanol I guess, It can use he compression. I would make sure the chambers are clear of any sharp edges too.

DStan

Reaction score
that sounds like a good idea. Unless my math sucks, and I'm tired so it might, I calculate you at 12.4:1 static with a .020 crush. That's not pump fuel territory, so a larger gasket to drop static, and a longer duration to drop your dynamic compression is a good idea unless your wanting to pay for 110 octane. That could be a great piece if you wanted to run ethanol I guess, It can use he compression. I would make sure the chambers are clear of any sharp edges too.

The heads should have about a 88cc chamber and put me at just under 9.6:1 I have access to some good gas since I live next to an airport, but I'll just be running 93 in it.

Wanda73

Reaction score
check the heads, I had 250 castings as 72cc. If your at 88 then your right on at 10.5:1, but with iron heads your bumping your head on the ceiling. A slightly thicker gasket won't hurt if you get bad gas, and the longer duration will bring it down even more. Sounds like a healthy combo, good luck with it!

DStan

Reaction score
Have I put something in wrong here? Not saying you are wrong, I just want to be sure I've got the compression down right..

Comp_Ratio.JPG

Wanda73

Reaction score
I'm about to go to bed, but i just checked wikipedia (we all know it's right...) and they list it, as one year only. Sorry, expert I am not, on a new hand jam of the numbers your spot on.

DStan

Reaction score
yours a 383 B or RB? I calculated on an RB at 4.21x3.75.

I did some googling and found that the rb was only made in 59 and 60 so mine is definitely a b block as it is a 68

DStan

Reaction score
I'm about to go to bed, but i just checked wikipedia (we all know it's right...) and they list it, as one year only. Sorry, expert I am not, on a new hand jam of the numbers your spot on.

I'm no expert either. I didn't even know there was a 383 rb until now. lol

Back