• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car Pricing

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda, NOT a CUDA. It's a non numbers matching car (originally a slant six). The car was rebuilt from the front end to the rear end, new paint, interior etc. Is it out of the question to ask $42K? It's NOT a RESTORATION. I looked at prices online and the prices are all over the place. I'm not sure what a good starting point is. Thanks

Matt Johnson

Reaction score
Pictures and more information would go along way... currently I dont think anyone can answer this for you

money pit

Reaction score
Pictures and more information would go along way... currently I dont think anyone can answer this for you
Good Morning. I didn't intend this post to be an ad to sell my car so I didn't include photos or details. I can include photos later. The car was originally a slant six. It has a rebuilt 360, rebuilt 727 trans, new driveshaft. It has a Borgeson steering box. The front end has been rebuilt, new brakes. The rear end is rebuilt 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears and posi. New paint, new interior including the dash, new T/A radials. All rust has been repaired. I have photos of the repairs and receipts of all major parts. I also have a lot of extra parts. I want to sell it because I have another project in mind.

rklein71

Reaction score
If you are not in a big hurry to sell, you could start out a little high and see how the responses go. As always, the bigger the rush, the more you typically pay or the lower you sell for.

money pit

Reaction score
If you are not in a big hurry to sell, you could start out a little high and see how the responses go. As always, the bigger the rush, the more you typically pay or the lower you sell for.
Thanks. I'm in no hurry to sell.

moparleo

Reaction score
Prices are always a matter of opinion.
A non matching car will fetch more money from an uneducated buyer, like any non Mopar guy.
Any car is what 2 people can agree on is a fair price. No price books.
Only references will be with numbers matching cars. Otherwise it is just parts.
This hobby is not for profit as you seldom get what money you have put into a car back when you sell it.
Ask yourself what would you pay for your car ?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
With prices on certain cars being so high, some Mopar guys want a non numbers matching car. It is why I am rebuilding a 6 cylinder 71 Challenger. I can't drive my convertible or 6 pack cars just anywhere anymore.

money pit

Reaction score
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Barracuda 9.jpeg
    Barracuda 9.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Barracuda 1.jpeg
    Barracuda 1.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Barracuda 2.jpeg
    Barracuda 2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • Barracuda 3.jpeg
    Barracuda 3.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Barracuda 4.jpeg
    Barracuda 4.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Barracuda 6.jpeg
    Barracuda 6.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Barracuda 7.jpeg
    Barracuda 7.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Barracuda8.jpeg
    Barracuda8.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 135

KVB

Reaction score
I'm far from an expert, and have been researching prices on various e bodies over the years and have seen rotted shells - VIN dependent $4-12K. The 360 in a 1970 doesn't help it's asking value IMO, but it looks like a nice solid, drivable car.

Ask for the world and see what happens?

Pictures of any rot (if any) in the common areas will be a difference maker in what someone is willing to pay. If it's really clean, with info on what's been done/repairs, I can see it somewhere in the low 30's for sure with accurate Vin/body #'s in correct spots.

If you are going to ask $42K, I'd put the grille and light bezel trim back on if you have it.

money pit

Reaction score
I'm far from an expert, and have been researching prices on various e bodies over the years and have seen rotted shells - VIN dependent $4-12K. The 360 in a 1970 doesn't help it's asking value IMO, but it looks like a nice solid, drivable car.

Ask for the world and see what happens?

Pictures of any rot (if any) in the common areas will be a difference maker in what someone is willing to pay. If it's really clean, with info on what's been done/repairs, I can see it somewhere in the low 30's for sure with accurate Vin/body #'s in correct spots.

If you are going to ask $42K, I'd put the grille and light bezel trim back on if you have it.
I have photos of all areas where the rust was repaired. I will probably keep and enjoy it for a while. Thanks

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
My buddy just sold his 70 slant six Barracuda cloned into a 440 six pack for 45G's. It all depends on the buyer.

Bug Guy

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda, NOT a CUDA. It's a non numbers matching car (originally a slant six). The car was rebuilt from the front end to the rear end, new paint, interior etc. Is it out of the question to ask $42K? It's NOT a RESTORATION. I looked at prices online and the prices are all over the place. I'm not sure what a good starting point is. Thanks
Hey if your not in a rush to sell . The price your asking is far , Trying build one for that price ! car cost if you can find one plus parts + paint and body labor, It’s all added up That’s dollars a new car cost $30k

Beekeeper

Reaction score
It’s been my experience that the non performance version of a desirable car is about 2/3 of the value of it’s performance counterpart.

If a 70 Cuda 340 in similar condition to yours is selling at around $60k, you should seek $40k. This yardstick holds up really well for a lot of desirable cars.

And don’t let anyone convince you it isn’t valuable. It may not be as much so as a Cuda but it is still very sought after. That’s why people are pinging you now wanting to buy it.

When I ask the online world what the value of my 71 Barracuda convertible is, I get low numbers and lots of comments about how it’s not very desirable. At the same time, I get bombarded with private messages asking to sell which suggests it’s more desirable than I’m being told.

Stick to that 2/3 rule but obviously don’t compare it to a hemi. It generally fits when you pick the lowest performance model though Which would be a non numbers matching 340 auto Cuda.

money pit

Reaction score
It’s been my experience that the non performance version of a desirable car is about 2/3 of the value of it’s performance counterpart.

If a 70 Cuda 340 in similar condition to yours is selling at around $60k, you should seek $40k. This yardstick holds up really well for a lot of desirable cars.

And don’t let anyone convince you it isn’t valuable. It may not be as much so as a Cuda but it is still very sought after. That’s why people are pinging you now wanting to buy it.

When I ask the online world what the value of my 71 Barracuda convertible is, I get low numbers and lots of comments about how it’s not very desirable. At the same time, I get bombarded with private messages asking to sell which suggests it’s more desirable than I’m being told.

Stick to that 2/3 rule but obviously don’t compare it to a hemi. It generally fits when you pick the lowest performance model though Which would be a non numbers matching 340 auto Cuda.
Thanks. I was planning on making it a cuda clone, sway bars, leaf springs, hood, etc. You brought up a very good point about people trying to knock down the value so they could buy it at a lower price. Take care

Yella71

Reaction score
Do your research on comparable cars with similar options and equipment. include all kinds of cars, numbers matching or not. price it the way you want and feel good about. if your asking price is high you can always come down. if its low and you sell it for less or not enough your out that cash never to recoup. 30 years ago I could not get 6500 for my 71 challenger convertible . Im kinda glad no one stepped up to the plate then.

money pit

Reaction score
Do your research on comparable cars with similar options and equipment. include all kinds of cars, numbers matching or not. price it the way you want and feel good about. if your asking price is high you can always come down. if its low and you sell it for less or not enough your out that cash never to recoup. 30 years ago I could not get 6500 for my 71 challenger convertible . Im kinda glad no one stepped up to the plate then.
Thanks. That's very sound advice.

Back