• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Checked for Posi...hmm

Moespar

Reaction score
So I had the rear end jacked up, both tires off the ground, no drive shaft in the car, no engine or tranny in the vehicle yet either. wanted to see if the 489 was a sure grip. I rotated one rear tire forward, expecting and hoping to see the other rear tire turn in the same direction. The other tire didnt move. I tried reversing the direction, same thing, the other tire didnt move. I had read that if it wasnt a Limited slip diff, the opposite tire would spin opposite way. So I was expecting the other tire to at least move. Whats the deal. What am i missing here? thanks

rklein71

Reaction score
The other bearing might be just tight enough that your open differential is only spinning the one tire. Most of the time, an open differential, the opposite tire will spin the other direction, but it doesn't take make resistance for the other tire not to move.

Reaction score
I'm thinking, with out the additional drag of the drive line on the pinion it's likely turning the one wheel and the pinion yoke, through the open diff rather than the other wheel.
Looks like no sure grip though

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The pinion turns with less resistance than the other tire , if it was a sure grip both would be turning unless it is a torson diff , turn the yolk & see if both turn to be sure .

Back