• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cleaning Trim Rings

money pit

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean and polish trim rings? I bought some used rallye wheels and the dirt seems to be imbedded in the trim rings. I tried a number of cleaners and polishes, nothing works. Should I get them chromed or replace them? Thanks

money pit

Reaction score

Attachments

• wheel trim ring 2.jpg
    wheel trim ring 2.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 154
  • wheel trim ring.jpg
    wheel trim ring.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 147

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That's what I wanted to see.Brushed finish.Do you know what the spotting is? Some of these you may already have. I would start with the least aggressive more so wiping on and off.Vinegar,purple power, simple green LA Awesome.You can try baking soda,make a past with water and lightly rub so you don't loose the brushed finish.Also try Barkeeper friend (Lowes) soft scrub or comet. The more aggressive would be acetone,lacquer thinner and brake cleaner. other than that buffing with a compound you will loose the finish. Mequiars Diamond Cut Compound is a good product to try. It's hard to say what will take it off without knowing what it is. Road grime try gasoline.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Some notes I had on restoring trim rings!

1. Use a Dual Action sander with 80 grit paper, make sure you keep the pad flat with the flat face of the trim ring. This will give a flat surface all the way around. You might notice spots that aren't getting sanded, they are low and can be hammered out some more.

2. Switch to 180 grit, then 220 grit.

3. A regular sanding block with progressively finer paper is used to remove the previous sanding marks. Go until it can be polished with a normal cotton polishing wheel. Rouge will bring out the shine.

4. Metal polish like Wenol will make it pop.

5. For the brushed style ring, some are nice enough to use a coarse Scotch Brite by hand, others take a piece of 180 grit paper. Just follow the factory brushed pattern.

money pit

Reaction score
That's what I wanted to see.Brushed finish.Do you know what the spotting is? Some of these you may already have. I would start with the least aggressive more so wiping on and off.Vinegar,purple power, simple green LA Awesome.You can try baking soda,make a past with water and lightly rub so you don't loose the brushed finish.Also try Barkeeper friend (Lowes) soft scrub or comet. The more aggressive would be acetone,lacquer thinner and brake cleaner. other than that buffing with a compound you will loose the finish. Mequiars Diamond Cut Compound is a good product to try. It's hard to say what will take it off without knowing what it is. Road grime try gasoline.
Thanks, I'll give your recommendations a try.

money pit

Reaction score
Some notes I had on restoring trim rings!

1. Use a Dual Action sander with 80 grit paper, make sure you keep the pad flat with the flat face of the trim ring. This will give a flat surface all the way around. You might notice spots that aren't getting sanded, they are low and can be hammered out some more.

2. Switch to 180 grit, then 220 grit.

3. A regular sanding block with progressively finer paper is used to remove the previous sanding marks. Go until it can be polished with a normal cotton polishing wheel. Rouge will bring out the shine.

4. Metal polish like Wenol will make it pop.

5. For the brushed style ring, some are nice enough to use a coarse Scotch Brite by hand, others take a piece of 180 grit paper. Just follow the factory brushed pattern.
Thanks. What you recommend, was something I was going to try. May be not so aggressive with the 80 grit.

mmissile

Reaction score
I've used drywall sanding blocks [sponge-type], with great success on some brushed stainless parts. You can run straight patterns. I did this heat-shield on the exhaust of a GSXR. Took out the scratches with sanding, polished, then went for the brushed pattern.
006.JPG

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
If it is the brushed finish you could try a fine Scotchbrite wheel mounted on a drill.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean and polish trim rings? I bought some used rallye wheels and the dirt seems to be imbedded in the trim rings. I tried a number of cleaners and polishes, nothing works. Should I get them chromed or replace them? Thanks
i used Mothers Aluminum polish and their polishing tool--also on OEM sill plates

money pit

Reaction score
i used Mothers Aluminum polish and their polishing tool--also on OEM sill plates
I got most of the stains and intended dirt out with fine crocus cloth. I was actually think of using the Mother's polish after I get the trim rings a little cleaner. Thanks

Back