• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

CLUTCH/BRAKE SUPPORT BOLT GAP 71

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Good afternoon Mopar friends. Has anybody come across a small gap with lower bolt on clutch / brake support bracket during install? Everything is OE , I don't just want to tighten up with this gap. Am I missing anything? Looked at some illustrations online and I don't think I am missing anything. This is the bottom long bolt in the picture. I have not hooked up the brake pedal bolt yet. Thank you in advance. Bill

unnamed.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
That doesn't look right.
The rod angling down to the brake pedal would be flat on my car. Both ends of it are at the same height as the booster linkage.

gf7cuda

Reaction score
That doesn't look right.
The rod angling down to the brake pedal would be flat on my car. Both ends of it are at the same height as the booster linkage.
Thanks Steve. That link that connects to brake pedal is just hanging. I didnt hook it up yet. It will be inline with booster rod when hooked up. My concern is the bottom long bolt gap of bracket and bolt.

Steve340

Reaction score
Ok I see what you mean.
Is there a bit of the support bracket missing/broken off? Mine goes through two holes you cannot see the bolt.
Mine looks like your left hand side - on both sides.

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Ok I see what you mean.
Is there a bit of the support bracket missing/broken off? Mine goes through two holes you cannot see the bolt.
Mine looks like your left hand side - on both sides.
Nothing broken off Steve, I just dont want to tighten and crush it together if I'm missing a piece or something. everything else looks right.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Nothing missing. The nut is a special lock nut (oblong/oval hole) to resist loosening. Just tighten it down to take up 99% of those exposed threads and you should be good to go.
There is a rubber O-ring on the bolt at the portion for the power brake rod linkage. The O-ring is for anti-rattle purposes.
1717983393827.png
Power Brake Linkage to Pedal Through-Bolt and Nut.jpg
Power Brake Linkage to Pedal Through-Bolt Nut.jpg

Last edited:

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Nothing missing. The nut is a special lock nut (oblong/oval hole) to resist loosening. Just tighten it down to take up 99% of those exposed threads and you should be good to go.
There is a rubber O-ring on the bolt at the portion for the power brake rod linkage. The O-ring is for anti-rattle purposes.
View attachment 125264 View attachment 125265
Excellent, thanks MoparCarGuy, appreciate this information.

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Nothing broken off Steve, I just dont want to tighten and crush it together if I'm missing a piece or something. everything else looks right.
Steve thanks for the help, MoparCarGuy said this looks ok, I am going to tighten it up and go from there. Have a good night.

gf7cuda

Reaction score
View attachment 125264 View attachment 125265
MoparCarGuy, you were talking about the long bold just above the brake pedal bolt right? Looking right above the red markings you drew. The clutch/brake pedal bracket long bottom bolt (that gap)? Just making sure.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
No, I was talking about the Power Brake Booster Linkage Rod to Pedal Through-Bolt and Nut.

I think you must mean the Power Brake Pedal Linkage "pivot" bolt. It uses two (2) plastic sleeves (bushings) but also has a deformed-type nut. It should have almost no gaps when tightened. Same concept for each of these through-bolts.

NOTE: The factory diagram has that bolt inserted from the Driver's side and the nut on the Passenger's side.
It will work fine either way but just pointing out the way the factory installed it.

1717986732994.png
1970 Factory Plymouth Power Brakes Diagram - Pivot Bolt.jpg

Last edited:

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Thank you MoparCarGuy, I have approximately 1/8 gap, I hope the nut on the bolt bottoms out before it crushes the bracket together. Have you seen a gap in between bracket at end of bushings before?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Using the clutch makes some play in the mount. I welded washes on the sides to reinforce it. I Had problems with the peddle coming back up. Thought I had a picture with the repair made.

challenger Gaddle brock.jpg

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Using the clutch makes some play in the mount. I welded washes on the sides to reinforce it. I Had problems with the peddle coming back up. Thought I had a picture with the repair made.

View attachment 125282
Thanks RTA, looks like everything is good, I tightened the long bolt and it did pull bracket in a little, but tightened up and pedals move free. Thank god...

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Thank you Challenger RTA, MoparCarGuy, and Steve340. Appreciate all your input on this. Have a good day!

Back