• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

coil

booyaballer

Reaction score
All, in the process of organizing my engine compartment's wiring, i found that my Accel 140001 coil (which is ginormous) has a chip in it. not sure if this occurred due to ignition or dropped somewhere along the way. Either way, i figure I should replace it. Since I have an MSD 6A box w/ tach adapter and a chrysler distributor conversion kit (from what I can tell), I was considering an MSD blaster coil for no other reason than its the same brand as my MSD box. Are there any other considerations I should account for?

my car is a 70 challenger with a 1993 crate engine 360.

thanks for the help.

IMG_5221.jpgIMG_5222.jpgIMG_5226.jpgIMG_5244.jpgIMG_5246.jpgIMG_5253.jpgIMG_5277.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There are a number of choices ,I always used the Pertronics coils , they do not leak when mounted horizontal & look similar to original.
If you buy a blaster you must buy the vibration blaster or they will leak & fail , WHy ? Can't MSD make their coils like most other companies ?
You can also use dry type coils , GM HEI has since the early 70s , there are numerous coils of this type available now .

booyaballer

Reaction score
Are the coils more or less universal? in looking at pertronix/MSD/Accel, there are different ohms and volts listed. I've looked at MSD instructions and the elec distributor instructions that I have and nothing specifies the coil type. The more I look into my car the more I find things that i'm not so sure everything is paired up properly. Since my car has a 360 engine, I was told the 340 is essentially the same when it comes to comparing engine parts. I'm trying to avoid buying the wrong one.

thanks again.

70chall440

Reaction score
I have used most of them and to be honest haven't formed an opinion of one being better than another. Currently I have 2 MSD Blaster coils and they seem to work well.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
coils are similar in basic function & design some require reduced voltage / ballast resister to function correctly , but MSD doesn't use a ballast & they trigger the coil differently , somehow they do not feed constant voltage to the coil when tested , might be bast to talkto MSD & see what they suggest which will obviously be their own products but a dry coil could work better for you.

Back