• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

composite springs

cuda joe

Reaction score
my new composite springs arrived today time to get out in the garage good weather is coming .anyone make front hangers to fit them any tips on installing thanks

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
my new composite springs arrived today time to get out in the garage good weather is coming .anyone make front hangers to fit them any tips on installing thanks
What brand (company) did you buy? I've been running Flex-A-Form fiberglass mono-leafs since about 1986... 225#/5" uncompressed arched... settles nearly flat.. great for handling.

I would think that the company you bought them from would've supplied the hangers for your car.

cuda joe

Reaction score
I;ll post pictures
i bought hyperco 175 I have read to use hoses over the u bolts and a longer front hanger any more info would be appeciated , mitch are you using a panhard bar ? should i put rubber between the spring and the mounting plate ? best reguards joe

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
No Panhard bar... I wouldn't bother with any rubber install... instead, perhaps a tough piece of Teflon material.

Here's a cpl pics of my brackets.... using Flex-A-Form fiberglass mono-leafs .

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

cuda joe

Reaction score
thanks mitch what kind of teflon I have only heard of teflon tape and coatings

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Teflon plastic sheet... ~1/16" thickness... not sure where to buy some... but mine came from Flex-A-Form with the leafs (back in the mid-1980s).

Rubber would probably split upon clamping and movement.

cuda joe

Reaction score
i found the teflon sheets do i put them on the top and bottom of the pads that are glued on the springs or do i wrap around the spring.. i have read to use hose on the u bolts thanks for you help

KIMG1073.JPG

KIMG1074.JPG

KIMG1075.JPG

cuda joe

Reaction score
ok thanks I;m making the hangers i should get them in this weekend will post pics

Brads70

Reaction score
I don't think you will like the #175 rate, I tried them first, expensive mistake. That's my post Josh posted in reply #3
Also, plan on buying adjustable shocks, I had the Bilstein RCD shocks and they didn't work, these react much quicker then steel springs.

Last edited:

cuda joe

Reaction score
I appreciate the concern allready have double adjustable shocks should i set compression and rebound stiffer ?. why not the #175

Brads70

Reaction score
When I installed the #175 I could easily compress the back end by pushing on it. I set the rebound stiffer, nice for traction I found and ride quality.

cuda joe

Reaction score
my new composite springs had to make new spring hangers made a template cut 1/4 steel.. the tape on tire is the height with the hotchkiss springs were before i did anything bent fuel lines for clearence I tacked welded the 2 halves together and drilled them then clamped them together on the mounting plate then welded after welding mounted them to spring and marked the holes from the back then drilled the mounting plate the 3 holes are for stock distance from mounting plate just 1 inch lower the other 2 are for the composite springs see next post for the rest

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

cuda joe

Reaction score
hanger all welded up then installed with the hotchkiss spring in the 1 inch lower hole brought the back end up a inch i did that to see how it worked then i installed the composit springs in the rear lower hole which is 1/2 inch lower and 1 1/2 farther back than stock location the car height was the same 1 inch higher than when i started then i cut teflon strips to go between springs and u bolts where my finger is pointed .. i had to enlarge the hole in the new spring bushings to fit the rear spring shackles can;t wait to take her out thanks all for your good pointers

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

cuda joe

Reaction score
thanks cuda hunter I;m trying to improve ride quality i already got it handlng very well.. spring is coming happy motoring to all

cuda joe

Reaction score
i took the car out yesterday for a long ride very pleased with it handled great with improved and ride quality my set up is 1.03 bars moog offset upper control bushings caster +4 adustable strut rods boxed lower arms a brace for the lower part of the steering box goes where the pitman arm is and bolts to the crossmember no more flex. longer pitman and idler arms solid turn buckle on the tierods and the 175 composite rear leafs ,,happy motoring too all

Back