• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Console installation

Sal C

Reaction score
I have a '73 Barracuda which I recently did some restoration, including much of the interior. My question is of those that installed new consoles or even repaired your stock one, is there any tips on properly mounting them? Attached is a picture of my interior before. Notice the gap and distortion of the console top plate over time by the shifter. I've noticed many other Cudas at car shows / cruise nights with the same issues. I bought one of Tony's repops, it fits pretty much the same way, I haven't mounted it yet but was wondering if any of you out there had an experiences with this and how you handled it. I'm guessing just a lot of trial and error using shims / washers to get it lined up correctly? Thanks.

console.jpg

Avalanche

Reaction score
I believe the console just bolts in 2 places, front and back.
I never seen them buckle like that before.

70chall440

Reaction score
Normally the plates are not bent or warped, however the piece of the console right next to the shifter plate breaks frequently. Those plates are cast and if pried on they will take a set and are not easily flattened back, I have tried on a couple there were definitely pried on but with limited success. If I were going to do it again I would used a press but you need to go slow and put it on a piece of wood (wide enough to support the all the way across).

Back